Decoupaged Drawer Sides & Their Usefulness

Would you do this to your drawer box sides? They are gorgeous but I’m not sure if it would be a valuable use of my time. The completed project could add to daily minor frustrations.

The artwork would mostly be unseen and I wouldn’t even be able to see it myself unless I stood to the side of an open drawer.

I would always be wanting to keep the drawers hanging open, especially for some like in the first pic. I would probably end up asking myself, Why did you do this?

Have you done this? Will you share your work?

*These images are from Pinterest.

3 Likes

I have never done this, but now I am on the hunt for some small drawered things at the thrift stores. Thanks for the inspiration! Hopefully someone here has done this so we can take a peek.

1 Like

Very pretty, but as you say, the art wouldn’t be seen much. Unless maybe you used the finished project as a display piece for craft show wares or something, where they would always be open.

Do you think it might also potentially make the drawers harder to open and close?

1 Like

I would probably do the sides. I like details like that, even if I am the only one who might see them. But, I also line my dresser drawers before I put in my clothes with lovely paper. I get a peek of it now and then, but I know it is there. It wouldn’t feel complete to me.

I would worry if something on the side would make it a pain to open the drawers. Those kind of little things also annoy me.

It would be nice to know if someone actually has done it and what their thoughts were in reality.

1 Like

No, but I had plans to do this during lockdowns back in 2020, and your questions are exactly what I asked myself as well… while it is SO pretty, idk that it would stay safe from scraping, and it wouldn’t really be visible unless you had room to keep the drawers all partially open all the time.

3 Likes

I would definitely do it on drawers there the construction of the piece would allow for it. I love details like this and have painted the sides of drawers a contrasting color before. I have also painted the interiors of cabinets a bright-ish color just for the joy of it as well as used glitter vinyl to line another bathrooms drawers. I also like to do details on all sides of room boxes and dioramas, even if no one else really notices or one has to move it to see.

All these things were worth my time, because I like doing it and knowing it’s there whether I see it all the time or not. But if it might not be worth your time if it doesn’t appeal to you enough to not question if it is.

3 Likes

This sure looks pretty, but I’m absolutely sharing your opinion. If you keep the drawers hanging open you kind of miss the point of a drawer.

I think it would be cute to decoupage the inside sides of a drawer. That way you would be greeted by a pop of color when you open them.

2 Likes

Good luck to you. It’s hard to resist doing this!

That’s what I thought about too, craft show display for those who do that. I hadn’t thought about difficulty opening/closing drawers after using tissue paper type decoupage. With some very tight drawers even paint could cause that problem.

A project like this would certainly be a good opportunity for self-pampering. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And I’m not sure how I’d feel about having some drawers always hanging open in my craft studio, no matter how gorgeous the sides are. I think I might be willing to try a mini, tabletop cabinet where I could keep pretty embellishments in the always-opened drawers.

3 Likes

…and you wouldn’t have to stand to the side to see the pretty artwork! :blush: Sweet idea.

I think that’s what adds joy to life, the little things that we do just because. :blush:

1 Like

Swoon. I would absolutely do this on my vanity drawers. When I’m sitting on the bench at the mirror, I have two small drawers to my side that open. You’ve inspired me. :heart_eyes:

Oooh, maybe nightstand drawers, too. I probably wouldn’t do this to my dresser drawers for the reason you stated, though.

2 Likes