DeeDee's Apple Coffee Cake (with recipe) - Great LC Holiday Bakeoff 2022 Entry

Years ago, a dear friend and I would cook together and recipe share quite often. She had a very tasty basic coffee cake recipe that we created so many variations for based on whatever we had to hand, great for using up bits of fruit, nuts, etc. We really did make it with just about everything you could imagine but apple was always a fave. We used both grated and chopped apples most of the time for flavour and texture. It’s a lovely thing to bring to a friend’s place to have with tea or coffee. Not too sweet, despite the crumble topping!
Ingredients:
1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour (up to 1/3 can be whole wheat)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
3/4 cup liquid (milk, juice, tea, apple sauce, 2 mashed bananas with 1/4 cup liquid, or 1/2 cup baby food prunes with 1/4 cup liquid)
Optional:
1 tsp vanilla
1 small chopped apple and/or 1 small grated apple, or equivalent measure of grated zucchini, carrot or pumpkin, etc
1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, craisins, chopped apricots or dates, etc) and/or 1/4 cup crushed nuts
if using banana, a touch of nutmeg is nice
Crumble Topping:
3 TBSP melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 TBSP flour
1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
-cream together butter and sugar
-beat in egg
-add vanilla, if using
-stir in grated apple, if using
-sift together dry ingredients and stir one third of that into the butter mixture,
-stir in 1/2 of the liquid ingredients, 1/3 of dry ingredients, final 1/2 of liquid, final 1/3 dry
-fold in any remaining optional ingredients (chopped fruit, nuts)
-combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon, stir into melted butter
-spread batter evenly in a buttered 8"X8" baking dish and sprinkle on the crumble topping
-bake for 35 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (may take a bit more time if using banana, if the top starts to get too browned before the cake is cooked, cover loosely with a bit of foil)
-insert a knife around the edge of the pan and cut into squares

Best served fresh and warm but darn fine cool too. Enjoy!

13 Likes

Lovely!
Reminds me of my favorite aunt’s apple cake.

1 Like

Oh, that sounds delish!

1 Like

I can almost smell that cake! mmmm.

We have a family recipe that is very similar…Aunt Bea’s Apple crumb cake…we used what we had and even made some variations using pineapples and dates…lol…I guess that is how recipes get developed…

I am now very curious about using some of my flavored teas as the liquid in basic cakes…

1 Like

This looks so yummy!

1 Like

We made the crumble with butter, sugar, spices & crushed nuts/seeds too! Really tried any scrap laying around that needed using up, always a winner.

Fruit teas are nice so is earl grey!

1 Like

Mmmm…I love a fruit coffee cake. Mr. Road is more of a purist, but he might go for this one! Thanks for sharing it with us!

1 Like

It’s just fine without any fruit too! In that case, use something thicker for the liquid, apple sauce or baby food prunes, to create a dense, moist cake. Tea, etc will yeild lighter results.
Sometime baking is fussy alchemy but loaves are more forgiving. This one’s great, so flexible!

1 Like

Mmmm, sounds super yummy!

1 Like

Time to Vote in the Green Holiday “Greens” Challenge!

And this year’s Bake Off!

1 Like

Delicious!! I am saving this for sure- I love coffee cake, and the addition of apples sounds wonderful. Mmmmmm!

1 Like

Oooh I love the addition of grated and chopped apple and the dried fruit to this. I haven’t heard of that in coffee cake before. Yum!

2 Likes

This was such a hit with my man, he asked for it again for his bday today! For the liquid I used yogurt & a little maple syrup, made the cake super dense & moist. This really is such a great recipe, so flexible.
We had the last of a bushel of apples in the cold room so I also cooked up pie filling, that’ll go in the freezer for another night.

2 Likes