Demon fruit birthday cake

My step son loves the One Piece anime, and for his birthday i decided to make him something he’s seen before, and as he knows i like and know how to create fun things he asked me if I could make it once.

Wanting to make things easier for myself I chose to use box cake, well, had to use two. Then i made italian merengue buttercream following -this- recipe, and adding coffee as flavour and purple food colour. I must say, after having tried the italian meringue buttercream I’m never going to go for american again, sorry, but it was less sweet, as well as lighter and fluffier, which makes it so much easier to use.

The green part is just white chocolate with food colour piped into the correct shape, with three toothpick between the front and back so it could be stuck in the cake without falling over.

I also looked at tutorials on how to make spherical cakes, my cake was softer so it wouldn’t stay as round as theirs, not that anyone really cared.

16 Likes

That is very cool!

1 Like

This is so cool looking!

1 Like

My son was into One Piece also… he would go nuts for this. Very cool!

1 Like

That looks great! Purple is tricky, you mixed a good shade.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar, but it looks really cool.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone :smiley:

And I agree @Magpi, purple is difficult but it’s also quite important to pick the right brand. I used a brand I found here in Norway, not certain where it’s from but after using the whole jar the cream was grey… So I switched to the wilton brand I bought years ago and after using maybe less than half a teaspoon I got a nice colour. I could have gone for a deeper purple but it’s not really needed.

1 Like