Desk curtain to hide those pesky cables

As many others are, I’m working from home for the foreseeable future while helping my kids with online school (husband is also at home and doing school, so I can’t complain). He has a dedicated office, though, since he’s been freelancing for years. I’m extremely lucky that my two boys still want to share a room and I can carve out a desk in our unused guest room. Since I’ve been home I’ve added to the 1970’s Sears French provincial “Bonnet” desk I’ve had as a kid and now have a proper desk (that’s even a sit-stand situation!!). The only problem is it shows every one of the nine million wires and cords I have crisscrossed behind it. I am no sewer (having taken one class in high school and watched my mom only a handful of times when she made costumes or dance skirts for us the night before they were needed.)

It didn’t turn out exactly as I envisioned, but I am happy with it! It’s made from an old queen sized bed sheet that I cut and hemmed to fit, then added ball fringe and did a poor job gathering the top. I added the rickrack since the bottom was sad, and it’s attached with fabric-strength adhesive Velcro. I was imagining more fluffy curtain with rainbows, and this looks more like the skirt of a folklorico dancer—I consider that a win either way.

Here’s my four year old modeling my curtain/his cape. :heart:

I realized I don’t have a before pic, but sit/stand desks are super expensive!! Mine is actually an adjustable tool bench that works perfectly—and while not exactly cheap—is far more reasonable at about $180 and built like a tank. Link to bench

13 Likes

I love that you made your workspace more fun with the ball fringe and the rick rack! Thanks for sharing the link to the desk. I’m thinking this would be perfect for my craft room. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can never go wrong with rickrack.

2 Likes

love your setup! And the kiddo is pretty cute too!

1 Like

Super cute and very clever! This is what the pioneers wouldn’t done if they had to telecommute during a pandemic! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I love the cheerfulness of the ball fringe and the ric rac!

1 Like

The folklorico dancer made me laugh! But it is a great solution and the colors make it cheery. Much better than looking at a snarl of cords and wires!

1 Like

I love this! It has a Fiesta feel. Plus I can picture your little one loving the nook you created and take residence under there. So fun!

1 Like

MUCH better than looking at a snarled nest of cords. I think this was a great idea!!

1 Like