Dimensional Balloon Animal Ornament

Forgot to post this little guy! I made a balloon animal ornament for @lifeinpigtails as part of the ongoing ornament swap (which has been awesome).

The base is a pringles plastic lid I punched a hole in, painted, and then glued scrapbook paper to.

For the balloon animal, I sketched him on cardstock and then used one of my fave techniques to add dimension: building up successive layers of school glue. In the end, I used around 5 layers. *please note for anyone trying this, you need to let each layer dry before applying the next.

Next, I added acrylic paint, making sure to add highlights and shadows to create the illusion of even more dimension. I added one more thin layer of school glue to give the balloon animal some shine before finally tying on a felt scarf, adding a wooden word accent, and gluing everything in place.

I’m really happy with the way it turned out.

34 Likes

that is so cool!

1 Like

I have never heard of using school glue like this before!!! What a cool technique! I love this ornament.

1 Like

This is fabulous!

1 Like

So cute! Thanks for sharing the technique.

1 Like

So cute. And thank you for the technique tips. I never would have thought to use school glue this way. I use it for lots of other things, but this is a great technique. I love the final balloon pup.

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s awesome!!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

What a crazy cool technique! It came out awesome!

1 Like

Love how this came out!

1 Like

Very cool! Thanks for sharing process shots and explaining the technique :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great job, thanks for sharing the technique!

1 Like

So original! I love how it turned out!

1 Like

Love this! It’s super cute.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I updated the description so it’s clear you need to let the glue layer dry between each application in order to build up the height. The glue flattens a bit as it dries. Also pop bubbles with a pin or you’ll get divits in the finished product (there are a few in this piece but I kind of like them).

1 Like

That balloon animal is so freaking fun!! I love how she was made! Excellent work!

1 Like

That is super clever! Love it! I think I’ll try this method with the kiddo this year for our handmade ornaments!

1 Like

So stinking’ cute!

1 Like

That is such a cool technique. You have my imagination going wild with possibilities. You chose the perfect design for it. Love the ornament!

1 Like

Congrats! Your dimensional balloon animal ornament is a featured project for this week!

2 Likes