Dirty Sourdough Rolls

What is a dirty sourdough? Well, it’s not really sour dough, or it could be. It just depends.

I had left over dough in the bottom of a bowl after making my last pullman loaf, which had olive oil mixed in with a tiny bit of salt (of course, as it was a finished dough). So I mixed in one cup each of flour and water, and a tablespoon of sugar. Let it sit for a few hours, then I fed it with 1/3 cup flour and 1/3 cup water, and let it rest overnight. It was very bubbly and smelled of yeast dough (not soured, just yeasty).

Anyway, I wanted to make rolls, so I needed my bowl, so I transferred the mash over to a mason jar, and it struck me…Why throw it out? It’s yeasty, so…Lets make some bread with it.

1 c. Milk
3/4 c. water
4 Tbls. Butter
1 Tbls. Sugar
Heat til butter is melted, and temperature is at 105F.

3/4 c. Dirty Sourdough Starter
2 c. flour

Mix all together, and let sit for a few hours.

(Noticed it wasn’t getting yeasty, and added in 1 teaspoon of yeast about 20 minutes til ready to use).

2 c. Flour
1 tsp. Salt

Knead for ten minutes (about 20 minutes if you have a cheap mixer, :frowning_face:).

Let rise til doubled in size, about 1+1/2 hours.
Form into rolls into a greased pan, cover and let rise til doubled. (Took this batch about 60 minutes. Probably the cool kitchen didn’t help).

Bake at 375F for 28 minutes.

Tastes? Meh! It’s rather flavorless, :no_mouth:. I’ll give it a little time before trying another, and I’ll put some honey and butter on it to see if it’s just the lack of sugar (it did seem like it needed more sugar).

All in all, though, I think I’m going to call this a success. If I can’t get sourdough to form without a high content of mold, well, I can do a dirty sourdough. Still have some mash in the jar, so I’ll see how that one goes as it won’t be until Friday or later that I’ll try a whole wheat one.

6 Likes

They look good! All your bread making experiments are wonderful. These look like they could sop up a lot of soup or gravy! Yummy!

Rolls and resourcefulness? AWESOME!

Well, they look delicious! Nothing better than warm bread!!

Great-looking rolls!

They look amazing! Yes, I bet honey butter will do the trick.