DIY Graduation Cap

My college graduation was supposed to be June 1, but like so many others it got cancelled due to the pandemic.

Today I decided that I wanted a graduation cap so I cut out some cardboard, dug out some velvet scraps, and got out the hot glue gun. I glued the velvet to the cardboard and sewed on two straps for bobby pins. Then I used a button kit to make a velvet button and sewed in the middle of the square. I looped some gold rickrack I had lying around the button for a tassel. To finish it off I used an office stapler to reinforce the sewn on straps.

I’m pretty pleased at how it turned out! I may take some fun pictures with it for posterity. I’m graduating with a BS in Health and Wellness of Children and Youth. It is a degree that I designed through the City University of New York’s BA program. Rather proud of myself for going back to school and completing my degree after 15 years!

Very messy backside w/ bobby pins :grimacing:

17 Likes

Congratulations on your degree! It’s never too late to go back to school. And I love your idea to make the cap yourself so you can still take graduation pictures!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your degree! Even more special designing your own–great!! I love your cap!

2 Likes

Congrats! You worked hard!! I also went WAY later, so I know the commitment. Good on you!

Take the pictures and do the things. Or find some way to memorialize it. You achieved it!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!

3 Likes

Congratulations! :woman_student:t2: :birthday: :page_with_curl:

2 Likes

Well done! Your efforts deserve reward!!!

2 Likes

Congrats! Way to turn a bummer into a positive.

2 Likes

Yay, You! Congratulations and best wishes on the degree and the mortar board!

1 Like

Thank you everyone!

1 Like

Awesome way to celebrate your achievement.

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like