Doctor Who Scarf

A very good friend asked me to do a commission for him. An old friend of his has been wanting this scarf for about three decades, and I’m the craftiest person he knows. I agreed to do it, partly because he’s a good friend, partly because I love a challenge, and also because I’ve been meaning to give knitting another go anyway.

I used Cascade 220 Superwash in colorways doeskin heather, gray, golden, garnet, plum purple, olive heather, and walnut heather. If I were to do it again, I might go with Wool of the Andes Superwash as it has 100 colors and I could have matched the original a bit better. But, Cascade yarns are really lovely. And, the instructions I followed are from Doctor Who Scarf.

It took about 7 weeks from start to finish. Knitting feels very comfortable now, purling…not so much, yet. The scarf will be gifted this weekend, so I’ll probably post more pictures afterwards.

24 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS on completing this amazing project! I bet it will be treasured and coveted and loved forever. I can’t wait to see the action shots!

2 Likes

Seriously well done. It came out beautifully.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Yay! You finished! It looks fantastic, too. I know your friend must have gone crazy over it.

2 Likes

It looks so good and those yarns all balled up and ready for action are so pretty, no wonder you kept coming back to it. You are a good friend and a fabulous crafter. Well done!

3 Likes

Fantastic! We were all cheering you on! What a gift of a lifetime! Please post more pics of the happy receiver wearing his treasure!

3 Likes

Thank you all, so much! I’m really excited to give this away. I know what it’s like to get something from a fandom that you’re really geeked about, that you never thought you’d get your hands on. I’m thrilled that my friend asked me to be a part of doing that for someone he cares about. :blush:

2 Likes

Aren’t you funny, working so hard for so long for the sole purpose of giving that creation away?
I hear you, sister. We are together in our uniqueness here. So cool. & wow, that scarf is just incredible. I really hope the recipient geeks out amazingly.

3 Likes

Thank you! To be fair, I just knit 20-30 rows a day. I didn’t want to strain my hands with the repetitive movement, especially since I was training them to a new technique. I’m working a few projects now to learn what I need to know to tackle a sweater…for me. I had a ton of yarn left over from this scarf, plus the colors I ordered that weren’t quite right. I have enough for two sweaters, two hats, and a pair of mitts, lol.

2 Likes

Eep! You finished it! Yay! It looks sooooo good!

2 Likes

One of the highlights of my knitting life was making a Wonder Woman shawl for someone that I knew would appreciate it. One the hardest things I ever made but it was a joyous process because of who it was going to! I know you have that same feeling…so it is not hard to give away because it is still part of you through your friend!

4 Likes

Amazing job!! Can’t wait to see more knits from you!!

2 Likes

I am sure this will be coveted and the starter of many fun conversations for him.

2 Likes

This turned out so beautifully! Someone is going to be a VERY happy camper! Spreading joy is a perfect way to use your crafting super powers!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Wow! What a gorgeous labor of love!!!

2 Likes