Dollar Store Stained glass window

My kitchen window gets way too much sunlight in the afternoon. We have blinds and I had made a blackout curtain for the upper window but needed something for the lower window and still be able to open it easily. Solution multi-color poly index dividers sandwiched between black poster board cut to mimic the windows panes.

20 Likes

Cool!
I have dollar store heat reflectors in my windows; white foamcore and reflective windshield covers. Wound up costing less than $8 per window.

1 Like

Those are great ideas! I have to redo my bedroom windows…but the outside has to be white only (hoa rules)…foam core would help with the sun and it is white! Thanks!

@SillySlippers --such a colorful way to take care of a problem and still have light!

2 Likes

Foamcore by itself DOES help with sun and heat; that’s what we have been using for a few years. But we live in the desert, so I figure it’s worth the upgrade to shiny. No HOA to object; even my neighbors can’t see my windows, so nobody cares!

3 Likes

This is really clever and it looks fab.

You might find over time that the colour gets bleached out of the plastic, which might look really cool. But just to let you know that you can buy UV stabilised window film, it’s self adhesive and shouldn’t lose colour. I bought mine on AliExpress.

2 Likes

Pretty! That’s such a cool solution you came up with.

1 Like

Creativity at its finest! What a brilliant idea.

1 Like

These are so fun! I love the colors.

1 Like

Such a creative solution and it looks cool, too!

1 Like

Tried the film but it did not last past one summer. The film softened when it got warm and when cooled it shrank/shrunk. The patio shades I made last year with 80% sunblock window screen were put back up today.

2 Likes

I asked my husband to choose color intensity and placement. When this fades I have an 80% sunblock screen that I can hang from a curtain rod but that means reaching behind both the curtain and blinds to open the window.

3 Likes

That’s so pretty. What a genius idea!

1 Like

Very pretty!

1 Like

What if you try the “chopping mats” from the kitchen department at Dollar Tree? They’re thick and clear. May work? OR they also have some holographic rolls of material now as well that may still qualify? (Just picked up some ourselves for use on some garage door windows - just need to put it into action.)

1 Like

I definitely need a trip to the Dollar Tree! I get so many practical ideas from people here that I would never have thought of on my own!

I am sure I will find something now that the creative spark has been lit! Thanks!!!

2 Likes