Dolphin in Coral Reef: Another Paint Pour Reclamation

I have quite a few paint pours sitting around. While alone they are nice, they could be enhanced. So, last night I did the January Craft in Your Style challenge. Today, I was feeling fish and coral reef vibes.

I loosely followed this definitely not beginner Dolphin and Coral Reef video to create my finished piece. I wanted to see some of the paint pour shine through, so I did not change the water to solid blue. This confuses Mr. Lynx who only sees a dolphin over a mountainside. I get it. I can see it, too, but I still like it.

I started by mixing a khaki and white craft paint and doing a simple wash.
Before:

After:

Then, I followed the tutorial and made the dolphin using the paint colors and brushes I have. Apparently, I don’t have any round brushes. I’ll have to fix that!

Then, I loosely followed her coral steps excluding adding fish and took my fan brush and added some blue+white swirls into the upper part and over the dolphin and coral for the completed look.

I love I can still see some color and texture from the pour.

This is also 11x14 inches.
Thanks for looking.

12 Likes

Great job on the dolphin! I like the mix of colors that you used when painting him and the highlights (along the mouth and the fin especially) really bring him to life.

2 Likes

Great job - I love the colours of the water and the coral. Though after reading about Mr. Lynx’s confusion, I can see how the water might be mistaken for sky.

2 Likes

The dolphin looks adorable.

2 Likes

Fun way to embellish your paint pours! (And an understandable reaction to the snow days, dreaming about warm waters!)

1 Like

Cute dolphin! Great colors!