Dragon automaton

I made a dragon automaton for the crafts in motion swap. My partner @saintcady had dragons on her list of themes so I decided to make a dragon that flapped his wings.

And so thus began a long period of nothing but looking up dragon and bird automata. I knew I wanted to keep the moving parts somewhat simple as it was my first time trying to build an automaton. But I didnt necessarily want the dragon to be simple, if that makes sense.

I debated multiple materials to build the dragon. Paper clay, balsa wood blocks, a wine cork? In the end, I went with polymer clay. I had to mix two colors to get the purple I wanted.

I also debated multiple materials to make the wings. Polymer clay formed in parts, EVA foam, stencil plastic, fabric. Felt and leather seemed the perfect combo to give his wings enough structure to not just flop over but also allow for flexibility.

His mountain home was burned into one of those kid’s wood stacking/nesting boxes. I wasn’t sure what size I would need so this seemed the best way to get a lot of sizes. KiwiCo has the best price for these especially for what I wanted and needed. Less than $8 USD for the set.

His eyes are little black beads. He is coated in sculpey gloss glaze. I originally bought much stiffer wire for his wings but realized I actually needed more flexible wire so I used some wire I had in my stash.

I used Hillman 14 gauge galvanized wire for the wire used to secure him to the wood box and for the crank. The little stoppers are 6mm silicone rings. I found I had to add a little masking tape around the wire to make the rings a more snug fit but I wanted them to keep the thinner wing wire from straying too far down the crank.

Altogether I was pleased with how it turned out. I will definitely make another in my future.

4452

9 Likes

Awww! Such a precious dragon :heart_eyes:

Thank you for explaining how you created the mechanism.

1 Like

He looks fantastic and the wood burnt scene is the perfect accompaniment! Great job on the wings and your wiring for the movement is so neat and precise! Beautiful work.

1 Like

Both adorable and cool!

1 Like

This is amazing! Well done.

1 Like

I feel like this is two fabulous projects in one!

The wood burned box is simple but fitting. So clear and detailed.

The little dragon is cute and the wing flaps complete the scuplture.

I had no idea about automation guts…how they work…so thanks for showing that it doesn’t take an engineering degree to make things move! I love your project so much!

2 Likes

This is really neat! I’ve always been mesmerised by automatons and how they can be fairly simple (in theory at least) but so very magical!

2 Likes

So incredible! You did an amazing job

2 Likes

Oh this is neat! And it’s purple. Chef’s kiss

2 Likes

I love him so much! He’s currently on the mantle, but might end up coming to work with me. :purple_heart::purple_heart:

3 Likes

This is awesome!

You and @saintcady were perfectly paired in this swap, I must say!

2 Likes

Most definitely. I was super excited to be paired with Cady!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

1 Like