Dragon Blood Drop

I first made the Dragon Blood drop a long time ago, and I didn’t realize how much it had changed until I help the most recent one up to a picture of the original! I ran out of the dragon safety eyes and started attaching the wings differently, apparently!

The original pattern:

The pattern:

Start off with a Bob:

Size F Hook
Worsted Weight Yarn

Round 1: SC 4 in magic Ring (or, ch 2 and sc 4 in second ch from hook). Join {sl st to first SC, ch1}
Round 2: SC in each st, join (4)
Round 3: SC in first st, 2 SC in next st repeat from *, join (6)
Round 4: SC in first st, 2 SC in next st repeat from *, join (9)
Round 5: SC in first st, 2 SC in next st repeat from * to last st, sc in last st, join (13)
Round 6: SC in each st, join (13)
Round 7: SC in first two st, 2 SC in next st repeat from * to last st, sc in last st, join (17)
Round 8: SC in each st, join (17)
Round 9: SC in first two st, 2 SC in next st repeat from * to last 2 st, sc in last 2 st, join (22)
Round 10: SC in each st, join (22)
Round 11: SC in first st, 2 SC in next st repeat from *, join (33)
Rounds 12-20: SC in each st, join (33)
(I usually put the eyes in now!)
Rounds 21-23: SC in first st, SC 2tog repeat from *, join
(stuff-as-you-go decreases)
Round 24: SC 2tog
(Cram as much stuffing as you can in as you’re closing him up, remember, he’s there to be squeezed so he needs to be fairly firm.)
Fasten off.

Wings, make 2:

Row 1: Ch2, 2 sc in 2nd ch
Row 2: 2 Sc in each (4)
Row 3: 2 sc in first sc, sc in the next two sc, 2 sc in last sc (6)
Row 4: 2 sc in first sc, sc in the next sc, 2 sc in the next 2 sc, sc in the next sc, 2 sc in last sc (10)
Row 5: Sc across (10)
Row 6: Ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sl st in next two sc rep from * 4 more times, then ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook and sc in same st as last sl st. Then turn the corner and sc across top edge of wing (5 st) and 3 sc in corner, then 4 sc and sl st, tie off leaving a long tail for sewing (there are a bunch of different ways to sew them to the body, pick whichever you like best - I waffle on which I like more)

Tail:

Row 1: Ch 2, 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook
Row 2: 2 sc in first sc, sc in second sc (3)
Row 3: Sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in last sc (4)
Row 4: 2 sc in first sc, sc in next two sc, 2 sc in last sc (6)
Row 5: Sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next two sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in last sc (8)

Sc around the two sides, putting 3 sc at the tip (Row 1), 4 sl st to middle of Row 5
Foundation ch 10.
OR
Ch 10 (thinner tail)
OR
Ch 10, sl stitch up the chain, then back down the chain to create a thicker chain.
Fasten off, leaving a tail for sewing to body

Attach wings and tail to body!

Now, on to the new eyes and eyelids…

The eyes are made with a yellow (or whatever color you want!) base:

1. 6 sc in mr
  2. inc around (12)
    Fasten off, leave a long tail for sewing

Then stitch black yarn to create the vertical pupil.

The eyelids:

1. Ch 6
  2. sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next 3 st, sc in last st, leave a long tail for sewing.

You can position the eyelids to give your dragon a variety of expressions:

Slanted up, sad

Straight across, neutral

Slanting down, angry

You can also attach the wings more like I did originally, to be more like bat wings:

Or like I did this time, which I don’t have a picture of, but I sewed one entire side down the back of the blood drop, so it’s more like a bird’s wing.

And there you go, a Dragon Blood Drop Squeezy to take with you next time you donate blood!

15 Likes

So cute! But also quite fierce.

I love the updates! The eyes and wings are awesome!

I like the new style, especially the eyes!

This is awesome! The eyes are so expressive, I love them!

Those crocheted eyes add so much more character!

Adorably fierce! :dragon_face:

The detail is really good, you are amazing at designing these!