Dragon Scale Handbag

I made this bag for the Secret Santa swap - the receiver enjoys dragon themed items and requested a bag on her wishlist. I made a project 10 years ago with a crocodile stitch (that really does look like dragon scales) and I wondered if I could make a bag with it. I watched a YouTube video to remind myself how to do it - the video is here, it is in English and Tamil and the lighting isn’t great, but she does such a great job explaining the stitch and while she is making a small pouch in the video she explains how to make a larger bag with the same principals.

So I didn’t use a pattern - I just took her advice and revisited the video when I changed to the upper part.

I spent a lot of time on this package so I was so thrilled to read the appreciation post. I feel very appreciated! :heart:

32 Likes

beautiful!! i love the stitch pattern and colour combination!! great work!!

1 Like

This bag looks so squishy! I really like the colors you chose, too. I have yet to attempt the crocodile stitch, but I have a couple of patterns that use it. Was it a slow stitch to work? I’ve heard it’s a yarn gobbler.

1 Like

It came out so beautiful! Well done.

1 Like

It is a yarn gobbler - each scale is 10 dc and a sc, plus you create like a lattice work below the petals in V shapes (5dc down the V, sc, 5dc up the V). At the end of each row I would go check each petal to make sure everything looked good before moving on (because that would PISS ME OFF to have to tear out because I forgot a V) but otherwise you can totally robot crochet it. It’s literally just sc and dc and you figure out quickly how to hold your work so it makes a nice, clean stitch.

I use 2 skeins for the body, but I bought 3 just in case.

1 Like

Very cool.
From my vast experience with reptilian creatures, I would say that looks more like dragon than crocodile! Love that variegated yarn.

2 Likes

This is really well done! I love the variegated yarn.

1 Like

gasp I loooove it! It’s amazing. The colors and the scales and the button!! It’s great.

1 Like

I (obviously) love it so much! :blush:

1 Like

Very cute! It somehow manages to look both dragony and cuddly!

1 Like

Very cool!

1 Like

You did a magnificent job! This is just splendid!

1 Like

Congrats! Your Dragon Scale Handbag is one of this week’s featured projects. You rock!

1 Like

Yay! That is awesome. Thank you! :heart:

That;s the best, when you feel like your efforts were appreciated. This bag is awesome. I love the colors and the scaling is perfect!

2 Likes

this is so fun! i love the colors.