Dreaming in Pottery

I made this for my partner @FiredGinkgo,in the recent light-em-up swap. Since we are both ceramic artists, I spent a significant chunk of time debating if I should make something ceramic or not. In the end, I went this route. I love sewing and have so few opportunities these days that my brain really appreciated the creative break.

Inspired by my partners color preferences and themes (plants and pottery), I designed this scene. It features an old-school wooden kick wheel. Wheels like this are not electric but rather use foot power. The large circular disk underneath is attached to a rod that spins the wheel head on top. It seemed the perfect version to use in this serene setting. On the top of the wheel, I added a small selection of tools, including a cutting wire, a rib, a sponge, and a water bowl. A collection of just-thrown work sits on the ground. The lights were initially meant to be like stars but definitely give a firefly vibe, so either or. I used a bit of stick from my apple tree at the top. :heart: I call it “Dreaming in Pottery.”

25 Likes

This is so pretty! Your sewing skills are fantastic!

3 Likes

It’s so very beautiful. I love the lights in the night sky and how the leaves frame the scene so well. It’s very inviting and I can absolutely imagine sitting there at that wheel.

3 Likes

It’s awesome! And perfect for its intended recipient.

3 Likes

What a wonderful, perfect gift from one potter to another! All the details are lovely!

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more :smiling_face:

3 Likes

This is so beautiful. I love all the details that you used and the fact that you went with “pottery” without making pottery! Genius. All your fabric choices were spot on and it looks so cozy and relaxing.

3 Likes

This is really lovely. You created a magical scene in fabric and the lighted addition is so whimsical!

3 Likes

This is beautiful! :sparkling_heart: I love that it recalls a skill/enjoyment that you both share while also going in a completely different direction! Very thoughtful and wonderfully executed. The twinkling stars are perfect!

3 Likes

Lovely! The leaves in the foreground really feel closer to you, making it seem like you are peeking in on the pottery. Very cool!

3 Likes

This is delightful! Pun not intended at first, but now that I see it, I intend it!

3 Likes

This is beautiful! I can see how a potter would especially appreciate this.

2 Likes

This is great, I love the vibe

, I’m curious about the lights, is it a firefly string that you’ve cut holes in the fabric so it can be seen?

1 Like

It is a little led string. I cut a hole in the back and fed the wire through into the center so the battery pack hangs out the back. I started cutting holes in the front for the lights to shine through. I was going to stitch them in place. But then I discovered that they shown really well on their own without the holes. I stitched the front and back down in a couple of spots to help keep the string of lights from just falling down though.

:green_heart: :green_heart: Congratualations! The beautiful wallhanging is a FEATURED PROJECT! :green_heart: :green_heart:
Thank you for sharing your talent with Lettuce Craft!

1 Like