Easter Cakes

For Easter this year I had my dad and my brother and his wife over for lunch with my family. I made a carrot roll with cream cheese frosting (decorated with Swiss meringue buttercream flowers).

This is the first Easter without my mom (she died of cancer right after Christmas) so we’re trying to keep as many traditions of hers alive. She always made a lamb cake in the ancient cast iron mold that was her mom’s (that is now mine), so I did the same. It’s made with a plain yellow cake mix, white icing, and coconut dyed green for grass, like hers were (though without chocolate chips that looked suspiciously like lamb poop this time). The back of the lamb is frosted in a tie-dye type mixture of all the icing since I ran out of white. We hardly ever eat it, but it was great to have it as a decoration!

(The kiddos also decorated a few cupcakes since the lamb cake doesn’t hold a full recipe of batter. Imagine every color and type of sprinkle on four cupcakes, my table, and my floor.)

And the kiddos in question-in no mood to do the traditional spring bluebonnet picture (on a towel because I do not mess around with rattlesnakes and one kiddo is allergic to grass). Bluebonnets are our state’s official flower, and when it blooms people tend to take pictures squatting uncomfortably in big patches.This looks like it’ll be a good year for them in our area.

24 Likes

What gorgeous cakes! It’s great you are keeping the traditions going. I’ve seen a lot of bluebonnet pictures; yours is pretty funny. Cute kiddos!

2 Likes

How beautiful, and what a great reminder of your mom!

I would love to make gorgeous icing flowers, but I’m avoiding carbs. I wonder what else I could make them from. Cream cheese? wouldn’t that make a cool presentation for a cheese dip?

2 Likes

These are beautiful cakes! Too pretty to eat. Love the lamb cake tradition. :heart:

1 Like

That’s a great idea!

Gorgeous cakes and cute kiddos!

I’m sorry for your loss. It’s so nice to hear that your family is honoring her memory by carrying on traditions.

2 Likes

Beautiful cakes! Such a great way to keep her as a part of your celebration

1 Like

It’s such a feast for the eyes and the tum!

I don’t think I knew bluebonnets grew like this. So thick,

1 Like

:fireworks: This delicious project is one of this week’s featured projects! Woot! :fireworks:

1 Like

I couldn’t eat that lamb either! It’s too cute. The carrot roll looks amazing!

1 Like

So beautiful! Absolutely lovely frosting work!

I love keeping traditions alive. My mom also passed away of cancer last year, in October. What a beautiful way to keep her memory alive on the holidays. Sending you hugs!

1 Like

These are so lovely!

1 Like