Easter Egg Cookies

Our library sometimes has take and bake kits, with recipes and dry ingredients inside. This winter they had a series of cookie kits, one of which was sugar cookies. We were all cookied out after Christmas, so the kit sat on our shelf for a few months. Fortunately sugar, flour, and meringue powder don’t go bad, so with my daughter’s birthday (dragon themed) and Easter happening within a week of each other this year we decided to make egg shaped sugar cookies to decorate. The recipes were from Sally’s Baking Addiction and they were terrible. The cookie dough was a sticky mess even after chilling that was near impossible to cut out properly. The icing was way too runny, even though I only added half the water. We perserveered and wound up with some delicious cookies, but i am never using that recipe again. After the cookies were cool, we iced them with plain white royal icing and let the icing harden. Then we decorated them as a family using edible pens. I am loving cookie decorating with edible pens, it is so much easier than piping! I will definitely try that again. Also loving cookie egg decorating instead of chicken egg decorating and will definitely be making that our new tradition. We are keeping a few cookies to eat ourselves, and gifting some to friends and neighbors.

15 Likes

A much yummier tradition than a bunch of smelly hard boiled eggs! :grin: :laughing:

I love the spooky ones…the one-eyed egg is my favorite!

2 Likes

These are so fun! I especially like the one with the eyes peeking out of the cracked shell, the emerging dragon, Humpty Dumpty and the pretty pastel florals.

The octopus plate is an extra win!! :heart:

1 Like

What a fun twist on egg decorating! While I love a chicken egg in just about any format, I always want to decorate way more hard boiled eggs than we can eat in a reasonable amount of time.

2 Likes

Looks like you had a blast! The cookies are colorful and fun.

1 Like

Totally fun.

1 Like