Embossing Folder with Paper clay?

Does anyone have experience texturing paper clay or polymer clay with an embossing folder? Not running it through the Sizzix or other machine, of course, but pressing the clay onto it or it onto the clay. I wonder if I need to protect the embossing folder with something to get it to release as well as to keep it usable for paper, etc. in the future.

UPDATE: It worked! I brushed on cornstarch with a paint brush and it released really nicely.

3 Likes

Haven’t done that, but recently did some embossed designs on air-dry clay. It was an exercise in frustration until @marionberries suggested I use cornstarch as a release agent, sprinkled on the embossing item. Worked like a charm!

1 Like

Ooo. Thanks! I had thought about maybe cornstarch, but then wondered if that was going to ruin my clay. Sounds like not at all!

I used a soft paint brush to brush off the cornstarch before I did the glazes.

1 Like

Oh, good tip!

It worked! I brushed on cornstarch with a paint brush and it released really nicely.

2 Likes

Yay! I’m so glad it worked for you, too.

1 Like

I typically use baby powder - sprinkle on and brush off - to release molds from clay.
Just because I have it close by…

1 Like

I think baby powder is (almost?) completely cornstarch these days!
:grin:

Interesting! We definitely always have corn starch around, but I think there is a small bottle of OLD baby powder somewhere. That said, I don’t know if my sinuses could handle the scent any more.

1 Like