Encaustic paintings

At the weekend, I did a two day encaustic painting workshop. It was a new technique to me, you use melted pigmented beeswax, and lots of blowtorches. I enjoyed it. And it really lends itself to seascapes or heavily textured work. It’s not the easiest medium and I probably wouldn’t bother doing it at home, there is a big initial set up, but it was a very satisfying workshop.

And me being me, and working like a woman possessed, I made 12 paintings, while everyone else did about 4.

Many pix to follow. These are all about 10" sq

This was my first and probably the least successful

For my cat-loving husband.

Trying to take advantage of the really white pigmented wax.

Using some drawings on thin paper laminated in, with gold leaf

Trying something that wasn’t a seascape

You can get an effect similar to flow painting, with a beautiful smooth and shiny surface

Another drawing embedded in the wax and more water

30 Likes

Wow these are so cool! The amount of variety you were able to achieve is impressive. I know you say it was your least successful but the blue/green seascape looking one with the flowers is my favorite, it’s so moody.

2 Likes

Thank you, that has a very personal meaning to me, so I really appreciate you saying that x

2 Likes

Lovely textured work! I also love the first one you did…there is so much to see and you can “feel” the amount of texture you have in it…plus, that bit of yellow really draws the eye.

I befriended an artist here that teaches and paints with blowtorches and beeswax! Her painting fetch up to $6,000! It is a difficult medium but you seem to be a natural.

I have done encaustic but only on a small scale…and I use a small quilting iron to spread it like a paintbrush.

1 Like

They are so visually interesting & yes, moody.
My faves are the 2nd one, it really is a magnificent seascape. & the walk in the woods, reminds me of the slash & stitch tree quilt blocks you do.
Of course, the dandelion seed floating off is full of feels, melancholy sweetness.

1 Like

Oooo! Each of these is stunning on its own. As a collection, they are mind blowing! Faves for me: 3rd from top, winter scene, and path through trees. :heart:

1 Like

So many beautiful paintings! I love the way the colors flow. It sounds like a really fun technique.

2 Likes

You really got the most possible out of that workshop! Amazing variety of paintings; I love how many different moods and methods and techniques you used. My favorites are 1, 9 (red one with the heart), 11, and 12.

2 Likes

Gorgeous work! I took an encaustic class years ago and only made one piece. I can’t believe you were that prolific and still ended up with such cool and varied works! They are all so magnificent!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone :grin: it was all a lot of fun

3 Likes

Wow! These are so beautiful! I love all the textures!

2 Likes

These are amazing. I have never done encaustic, but my Mom has and I have seen them up close. The surface and thickness are incredible. These are super cool, and I bet they are even cooler in person.
I love the second one with the waves and beach, and the cat (of course), and the winter scene is incredible too! The one that “isn’t a seascape” is so dreamy.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of encaustic, you did an amazing job. I can’t pick a favourite but I could sit and look at these for a very long time because there are so many hidden images in each one.

When I first saw the 4th one, I thought, oh, there’s Pinocchio but the next time I looked I saw Neptune and then I saw an Elf lord and that’s just one picture.

Next time I can’t sleep, I’ll come and study these :smiley:

2 Likes

Heh, sounds like me every time I take a clay class.

I haven’t seen this much realism in encaustics before, and I really like most of your results here a lot better than the usual slightly murky collage style that seems to be the norm for the medium. Very cool!

2 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate that x

My teacher said “you apply the wax like it’s paint” which I kinda thought was what you were supposed to do :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thank you :grin: the medium is really cool and the layers can really build up.

@Cindy thank you, I’m glad that you are seeing so much in them

2 Likes

They are stunning! I was especially struck by the moody second seascape and the winter scene. I am also drawn to lovely blues, greens and turquoises in the tropical seascapes. The variety of styles/images and number of paintings from one workshop is truly amazing!

2 Likes

:green_heart: :purple_heart: :blue_heart: Congratulations! Your amazing work is one of this week’s featured projects! :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :green_heart:

5 Likes

Aw thanks sweetie xxx

1 Like

Oh man, take me away to the oooooooocean! Now I will be looking for a local class!

2 Likes