English muffins

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while. Made it today. They’re a little bland, I’ll use more salt next time, or pile on lots of jam and butter.

The recipe used (in a bread machine) with my changes and notes in bold:

English Muffins
Total time: 2 hrs 15 mins. Yield:18-21 muffins
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar try 1
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast. 2 tsp
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
¼ cup melted shortening or butter
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Or nuke for 30 seconds.
Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Eh, just toss it in the bread machine.
In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. (I 3d printed a cutter!). Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal or flour and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour
Heat greased griddle. Turn to low (my griddle fits across two burners on my gas stove; it gets HOT!. You might need to use a higher temp or longer cook time for other griddles. Cook muffins on griddle about 5 minutes on each side. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast.

Nutrition Facts. Per Serving: 190 calories; protein 4.9g; carbohydrates 34g; fat 3.5g; cholesterol 1.1mg; sodium 136.2mg.

16 Likes

Those look delicious. We’ve been teaching the children how to bake bread, they will like making, & eating these!

1 Like

They look yummy

1 Like

those are gorgeous!! i love that you 3d printed your cutter!!

1 Like

Learning experience: I put the cutter in the dishwasher (top rack), and it got twisted.
OK, don’t expose heat sensitive plastic products to hot water. But I think I can fix it with more hot water and a weight.

1 Like

YUM! I just love English muffins!

1 Like

They look great! I normally use semolina to dust, will try cornmeal next time.

Congrats, your project is featured this week!

1 Like

Wow, thank you!

Those look yummy! And also reminded me that I’ve been meaning to buy English Muffins the past couple of weeks. :laughing: Maybe now I’ll try making my own though.

1 Like

Yes, please. Gorgeous bread that doesn’t require turning on the oven! Also, can we talk about how cool it is to just, you know, 3D print a cutter, like ya do.

1 Like

I love English muffins, and i just got some from a local bakery, and they clearly used some sort of muffin pan for it. So, this makes me happy that I don’t need to use one! Thanks for the recipe and the tips!

1 Like

Thanks for the love, folks!
Some of mine came out with tough crust, I think because the griddle was too hot.
But they’re all getting eaten.

1 Like

I love homemade english muffins! they look good.

1 Like

They look amazing!! I’m sure you will get them just the way you want them in future batches! <3

1 Like

They look good!
I bet they smell even better.

1 Like

Congratulations! Your project was one of the Best of 2021! Yoooooou ROCK!

1 Like