Experiments in fabric printing with commercial stamps

Today the postman brought me some stamps from Aliexpress, they are standard cling stamps (I didn’t have an acrylic block to hand so a quilting ruler got pressed into service)

These are the results, printed onto fabric that I’d previously tie-dyed. It’s a bit labor intensive as the stamps are only about 4-5" but it’s a great technique for small bits of fabric that are going to be the centre of a piece of work. I’m thinking this one-vintage dress pattern, would make a great pocket on a dress.

The starburst is is my favourite because it lines up

Buttons, this stamp does not line up. The other one is Circus tickets.

14 Likes

Love the vintage dress stamp. Yes! I would look good as a pocket or maybe on a tote bag as a pocket.

1 Like

Ooh, the buttons would be so great for needle books, sewing bags, all the stitch related things!

2 Likes

Looking at this, looks like you turned the stamp 90° between each impression. Would it line up if you kept the orientation the same? It looks like it might, but hard to tell for sure.

I love these all so much!
Why did I never think of using a quilting ruler for my unmounted stamps? :woman_facepalming:
I’ve been messing with lino prints recently, which have been fun, but to use stamps is so much easier lol.
What ink did you use?

I’ll have a closer look at lining them up. I had one done and tried all four sides of the next and it didn’t work. But a different side might

I don’t love the ink I used. It’s a speedball product. Fabric paint in a tube, that dries and doesn’t need ironing to set. (Which is good because I don’t like the ironing stage) but the inks are quite viscous-compared with the screen printing inks that I normally use.

They get to the printing consistency with a roller fairly fast-but they also dry very fast on the glass when rolled out, so I feel that they are more wasteful.

2 Likes

Edel, I love all your fabric stamping! It’s all so imaginative!

They look great! I actually just cut up some of the stamped fabric you sent me for a quilt! I’m using up a bunch of handprinted fabric and I can’t wait to see it all come together :smiley:

2 Likes

Really liking the button one!

1 Like

Fun! I love the buttons. :grinning:

1 Like

I can’t believe how small the lines are on a machine stamp. and that lovely lady is fabulous. It reminds me of the 80s Fashion Plates or Flip-And-Fold-Fashions.

A pocket is going to be a PERFECT use!

:metal:

1 Like