Fabric Bookmarks

I made these fabric bookmarks for the Easter Egg Swap. Tracking shows they were delivered a while ago, so I think it’s safe to post them now.

When my partner listed colorful Māori prints among her favorite things, I knew I finally had the right project for a couple of scraps of fabric I’d been saving for over a year. The elastic bookmark on the right is made from a Māori print fabric I got from Spoonflower. I used it to make a throw pillow for my Aussie SIL (a gift from two Christmases ago). The leftover scraps were exactly wide enough for a bookmark.

In her Pinterest, I found a few pictures of cute matryoshka / nesting dolls. I had some matryoshka fabric in stash, so I did a second bookmark out of that fabric. The flower on top was crocheted with a similar design as one in the print.

My stitching on both bookmarks is a bit wonky (a seamstress I am not!) But both should be serviceable enough as bookmarks, and it was fun to roll them up together and tuck them into a plastic egg.

I’m not sure why, but I found the egg swap to be one of my very favorite swaps to craft for. Maybe it was the challenge of thinking of things small enough to fit into a plastic egg. Or maybe it was imagining my swap partner opening each egg to see what was inside. Or maybe I was just extra-inspired by my parter’s listed themes and interests. In any case, it was a real joy to participate!

13 Likes

Both fabrics are great!

2 Likes

Love the matching flower!!

2 Likes

These are both great!

2 Likes

I love the crocheted element, and that you modelled the flower on the one in the print.

2 Likes

Those are both gorgeous! I love the flower detail. How did you crochet the centre? Beautiful work.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! @Magpie, I just googled how to crochet a spiral. The only hard thing was to find one that showed it in single crochet vs double.

1 Like

Cool, thanks! Is it yarn or embroidery thread?

1 Like

It’s crochet cotton thread in size 10. Used a 1.5mm hook.

1 Like

These are wonderful bookmarks!

2 Likes

I like the mix of crafts. Very pretty and useful!

2 Likes

This is just too sweet!

2 Likes

Those prints are fantastic… what a great idea!

2 Likes

Cute! I love that circle fabric.

2 Likes

Very sweet and a clever idea for the Easter Egg swap!

2 Likes