Fabric covered sneakers

One of my best friends is turning 40 next week and I wanted to make her a special gift. Two years ago we attended a sewing festival together and we saw many women who had purchased sneakers with the design of our favorite fabric designer. Unfortunately the shoes were out of stock by the time we discovered them. Instead I bought a fabric (called Sewing is like magic) especially made for the festival. So when I was thinking about a birthday gift I had the idea to make her some sneakers exactly like the ones we saw at the festival. I came across a great tutorial on how to cover shoes with fabric. It was pretty easy - lots of glueing and cutting. And here they are

28 Likes

Cute!

1 Like

They look amazing! What a thoughtful and wonderful gift for a friend.

1 Like

What a lot of meticulous cutting and fitting! The fabric is sweet and the shoes definitely are custom!

Do you put anything on the fabric to protect it?

1 Like

What a great present for your friend! So well done and love that fabric!

1 Like

These are sooo cool! I love everything about them.

1 Like

Wow :heart_eyes: They’re gorgeous and they will remind her of that sewing festival you guys went to. Let’s hope we can do those kind of things again soon!

1 Like

Those are crazy cool! And the red stripe in the shoe coordinates perfectly with the red on the fabric- just like it was meant to be!

3 Likes

So cool! How did you do that? My gosh, how cute is that fussy cut fabric?

2 Likes

Utterly adorable. And a beautiful gift for a friend.

1 Like

Thank you all! I’m so happy about the shoes that I’m thinking about making another pair for my sister.

@AIMR I‘ll try a waterproof spray with my sample shoe first. Don’t want to ruin the birthday present. But according to the tutorial I used it works.

@Magpie Basically I glued a piece of fabric (larger than the part of the shoe ) to the shoe bit by bit. When the glue was dry I cut it to shape. That’s it :smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea…I have used those sprays on fabric bags, upholstery, etc. and they do work well to repel most water but are not 100% waterproof…I also use them for my linen shoes and they seem to at least keep them safer if a rain comes unexpectedly!

2 Likes

What kind of glue did you use?

1 Like

The tutorial suggests textile adhesive. I actually used craft glue that could be used for fabric.

1 Like

WOW! What a wonderfully personalized and special gift!

1 Like

What a great gift! These are amazing and that fabric is phenomenal!!!

1 Like

Congrats! Your project was one of the best of 2021! You are awesome!

1 Like