Face mask pattern reviews, please add your suggestions

I gave up on the filter as well…people are not going to use something that is difficult or cumbersome to use…they can always slip in a paper towel or other filter if they want and throw it out…for shopping that takes 20-1 hour, it is not comfortable at all…

My brother hates the two bands around the head…he wants ear things with a band…my sister has devised a velcro one for hers that I am going to try…

So many options…but with everyone collaborating, we will get to a near perfect one for most people!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check this out! It is a bit more complicated but not much, and it could be done with something elasticy or just a ribbon/twill tape.

Now that was scary to see so many face masks and options…guess it means this is here to stay for a while…seriously, we are all going to have to learn to recognize each other with just our eyes showing…I am depressed now…

2 Likes

I made a mask, using the pattern I posted earlier.
I made a small one for DS2. It took ages, but that was because I had 2 phone calls, then we needed to go out, lunch time, blah, blah, so although it took most of the day, actually it was quite quick.
I didn’t bother with the t-shirt piece, doubt he’ll wear it out, let alone with a filter in it.

I really like that there is no centre seam in the middle, just at top and bottom to create the shape.
I made ties from the sleeve of an out grown t-shirt, using the cuff so I didn’t have to neaten. I cut strips just over an inch wide, pulled them to make them curl, then zigzagged over them to stop them unrolling.

Here he is testing it out. Just need to do a few more, and teach them both how to use them properly.

5 Likes

Looks good! And I’ve had that fabric before!

1 Like

Good work! Looks like it fits great.

I’ve posted a tutorial for making t-shirt yarn here in case anybody wants to use that for behind the head ties. You could experiment with thinner strips for behind the ear, it doesn’t seem very comfy for that at the 1" width I usually cut it.

Ok, I have been working on a pattern most of the day based on this video and using this sort of tie with some tweaks to better finish the edges and cut down on the amount of sewing.

It is the easiest, quickest mask I have made so far. It does have an optional filter pocket but I`m going to take that out and add a permanent layer because the more I read, the less need I see for some removable layer rather than something integral to the mask itself.

The man didn’t like how it felt as much as a fitted mask does, he said it pressed on his nose. I’ll take time to make fitted masks for family and close friends but as far as mass producing goes, this is going to be the one.

I`ll work up a pattern and instructions and post them soon. I look forward to your feedback if you try it yourself!

I’ve seen that video and I like that it’s just one piece of fabric.

I really want to try the Olsen/fitted mask style but I’ve been intimidated. I did like this video for giving a nice visual walkthrough of it. Makes it seems a little more approachable vs the written tutorial. My biggest issue is that it seems so much work time wise with cutting.

1 Like

I used this pattern for the nine masks I made. But I shortened the elastic for the ears as they were way too loose - 5.5" for the kids, 6" for ladies and 6.5" for mens. I added a half a pipe cleaner for the nose wire (if you have an up and a down on your pattern remember to make your turning gap at the bottom!). I also used a 4.5" strip of heavy sew in interfacing (I read somewhere don’t use iron on, not sure why) from top to bottom as a built in filter. This is wide enough to cover nose and mouth but doesn’t add to the bulk that needs pleating. I also used flannel as the back layer to make it softer. It was a bit hot to start with when I wore it grocery shopping, but that feeling didn’t last long as I got used to it.

1 Like

I watched the video for that one but the instructions include a lot of extra sewing, where things are assembled and then stitched over again. I just thought why would you not simply sew those places one time? And again, the edges are folded over so that there ends up being about 12 layers of fabric for the elastic/tie channel. Also, I didn’t understand why the filter part is made like that. Is it to insert a regular paper mask inside, so the cover is to protect that for multiple uses? I don’t know, I don’t get that one.

I made another tonight by flattening the outer edge of the HK pattern modification I drafted so the front could be cut on a fold. It means the sides become two pieces rather than being folded over there but it’s not that bulky. The key to getting the lining and the outside fabric to curve nicely and not bunch up on the inside it to trim off a scant amount so the lining is just a tad smaller. And I really like the suggestion to use pinking shears to trim curves rather than clipping them, it works super well.

It is helpful to make sure any seam allowances that meet are pressed in opposite directions to reduce bulk. I added a layer of fusible interfacing across the mouth and nose area, this is going to function just as well as a sheet of paper towel or whatever and it doesn’t have to be removed, replaced, fiddled with, it won’t shift around, etc.

It can be finished with either behind the ear elastic or two strings that tie behind the head or one string that ties at the nape like this.

The finish sewing is one continuous line including the nose wire. I do not see why that can’t be done in one go rather than several lines of stitching. It saves so much time!

@mellybelly81 check out the video tutorial I linked to above with the grey mask. It has the pleats folded a bit differently, in such a way that the part over the breathing bit of the face is flat rather than pleated there. Same sort of dimensions and function as the one you made but I liked that any filter, inserted or included, would stay flat and in place within those folds.

I’m often leaving the elastic long so they can be tied to fit the wearer. And yes, I agree that non-fusible interfacing would likely be better, it’s one less layer of plastic to get hot and hold condensation in.

1 Like

That video was pretty cool. I like how it sits under the chin.

1 Like

I have been making the Olson style mask. I’ve completed 56 and have 21 more in process, with another 22 cut. I haven’t changed the pattern much other than to entirely discard the instructions and half the pattern pieces. I have a good system going using chain piecing, with trimming and ironing breaks, and tasks I can do in bulk in front of the TV (pinning for final assembly and tying off all the knots on the final casing stitches, because I am using a 1951 singer that has no backstitch…)

It is more time consuming to do the pockets, but I like to give people the option, as I am making in bulk and offering to friends and family and friends of family and a couple of crews for essential businesses, and everyone’s needs will be different but I don’t know them ahead of time. I have also made some with an extra layer of 600 thread count sheeting material. The dense weave makes them a little more difficult to breathe through but does provide a good washable filter for those who are high risk.

I have found a very comfy way to utilize elastic. If you cut a longer piece, thread the ends down the casing from the top, then knot the ends back over the upper crossways bit, it pulls snugly from both top and bottom while sitting crisscrossed at the nape of the neck, and the only place it has to touch the ear is just at the very top edge.

2 Likes

I’m trying to imagine the elastic configuration, can you share a photo?

I just came across This article with info from the CDC regarding filter stats. Basically it says 2 layers of fabric are 74% effective (roughly the equivalent of a surgical mask). Even better if you add a layer of tshirt fabric to 2 layers of tightly woven cotton. I am going to eliminate the filter pocket option as I’m not sewing for care workers and it looks like it is not necessary for daily use.

1 Like

On a slightly different track, but one that’s still relevant to making masks:

How do we wash them? Is sticking them through a normal 30⁰/40⁰ wash enough, or should they be washed at a higher temperature? I know for hospitals etc they’ll be washed at high temperatures or autoclaved, but is that necessary for home use?

1 Like

Everything I read said seems to say that machine washing and drying is enough…the key is not to touch the mask much…we either leave ours in the car until the next use (once or twice a week), and then throw our own mask into the washing machine. I have washed them with mostly jeans and t-shirts since I don’t want to wash them with towels or sheets that could touch your face. Regular laundry soap is enough, but occasionally, I use vinegar even on our clothes to get out smells and such. Most cycles go through more than 20 seconds of washing, so if it is good enough for hands, it should be good enough for masks.

How to clean your cloth masks

1 Like

This virus does not live for long outside the body so leaving in the car a couple days or so between shopping trips is likely enough. Regular washing to remove dirt, basic cycle, hang to dry or in the machine. I personally will cycle through 3-4 masks, we aren’t going out every day and when we do it’s for an hour so I will only wash them occasionally.
Think about this: to remove the virus from hands, you wash with warm water and soap for 20 seconds.

1 Like

The man is liking this mask pattern the best, it works for his face shape and beard.

I’m polishing this pattern, I do like it quite a bit and think it easily modifiable for options like types of ties/elastic, nose wire or not, filter pocket or permanent internal filter layer.

1 Like

Great videos here from a health care worker who sews, pattern link, in-depth sewing instructions for anybody who is in need or more step-by-step assistance. Also with analysis of CDC recommendations including fabric, filter material, and she shows how to use a disposable baking tray for the nose wire which is frankly brilliant. Lots of suggestions for material substitutes for anybody running out of this or that. The videos are long but worth watching.

Here is an excellent page of lab tested material. Surprisingly, teatoweling scores the highest out of all fabric! Which is really confusing since they are mostly such a loose weave, I’m utterly baffled by that. I do have a package of Aunt Martha’s tea towels, @kittykill recommended them for embroidering on. They are really large so lots of fabric. I also read about boiling cotton for 10 mins to shrink the weave up at tightly as possible, I am going to boil my tea towels and use them for mask lining.