Face mask tutorial, a different sort of elastic ear loop

Finally! A mask that fits long, tall, skinny and bearded, lol. Seriously, this kid’s face has been the trickiest to make a good mask for.

It’s worth watching this video for the pattern measurements and instructions but assembly was done by hand which I am not feeling like taking the time to do so… here’s a machine sewn version with some pattern tweaks to make it easier and faster.

Draft the pattern onto paper and use that template to cut 4 pieces, 2 front and 2 lining. I also added some fusible interfacing to the front pieces for extra filtering power but it’s optional (or you can add it to both front and lining)

Place front pieces right sides together and stitch the centre front seam with 1/4" seam allowance. Snip the curve or trim with pinking shears. To help the lining fit smoothly inside the mask, you can trim off a scant 1/8" as shown marked below (optional). You may find it helpful to mark which part of the mask will be the top on both front and lining.

Press seam allowances so they will lay on opposite sides as shown.

Beginning at the red arrow on the left and stopping at the red arrow on the right, stitch around the mask using a 1/4" seam allowance and backtacking across the elastic on both sides.

Reach inside the mask and pull the end of the elastic around the stitched curved on both sides of the mask, pinning in place.

Sew around the rest of the mask, leaving a gap along the bottom edge for turning.

Either clip the curves or trim with pinking shears. Cut away the fabric inside the side curves and clip the seam allowance.

Turn mask inside out and try the fit. I found the elastic was too loose but it’s an easy fix.

Simply push one of the ends inside out and stitch across to change the length of the elastic as required. Trim the end, turn mask right side out.

Press edges, taking care not to overheat elastic.

Insert nose wire through gap, pin into place with pins holding the wire as close to the seam as possible.

Beginning at the gap, edge stitch around the entire mask in one continuous line. Stop at the edge of the wire with the needle down and pivot to take a stitch along the end of the wire. Pivot and stitch as close to the wire as possible, pivoting again at the end. Continue edges stitching around the mask and backtack to lock the stitches.

I’d recommend this style, it’s easy enough to make and comfortable to wear. I do prefer one with removable elastic but at least this takes only very short pieces, much less than some.

8 Likes

All the styles!! This one has little high/low ear flaps!

1 Like