Family Portrait - In Memorium

I did this portrait a while back. It was a very special request as the father had recently passed away due to cancer. This would be the family’s first Christmas without him.

Their grandma had seen my artwork and asked if I could make a portrait in memory of the late father to try and bring some joy into this bitter time for this family.

This was one of the more difficult pieces I’ve ever worked on. Art-wise I’d never illustrated so many people in one setting before, but emotionally, I don’t think I’d ever connected with the story or subjects of my art as deeply either.

I remember several times having to fight back tears as I worked with the Grandma to make everything perfect. I learned each person’s stories. Their personalities. It was a difficult, but poignant experience.

I never realized just how much of an impact my artwork could have on people, until I was blessed with the opportunity to do this joyful peace for a family going through such hurt.

33 Likes

What a gorgeous piece and a beautiful, touching gift.

3 Likes

Amazing.

2 Likes

It’s so gorgeous and I’m sure it will be so very special for the family. I love that it shows the family in their daily routine, in their normal clothes and that you worked with grandma to make sure it was exactly right.

4 Likes

This is the sweetest thing ever. I know it will be treasured. I can’t even imagine how emotional it is for you. You’ll remember this experience forever and it turned out beautifully.

4 Likes

Aww! This is awesome.

3 Likes

so great on so many levels, what an honor it must’ve been to be asked

2 Likes

Beautifully done…you can tell that you literally poured your heart into this one…the joy of the family in happier times will come again…

3 Likes

I love this. So glad you had the ability and willingness to make this treasure happen!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m so glad you all feel so many good things while looking at this. That’s really what I was going for!

1 Like

Beautiful! And sounds like it was quite a journey for you as well.

1 Like

Thank You! Indeed it was!

2 Likes

Aw, what a treasure this will be for them through the years. I can imagine it was tough to do on a lot of levels. I applaud you for using your gift this way!

2 Likes

This story is heartbreaking, and priceless. Art can mean so much for us, it can be a gift that gives someone something they have lost back, gives them memories of the most precious time together. I think this is a great piece of art and will always be treasured forever. I’m glad the grandmother contacted you, this piece is just perfect

2 Likes

This is such a meaningful piece of art, I can only imagine how difficult it must have been at times xx

2 Likes

What a fabulous picture. It’s as thought you were able to include a bit of each family member within the artwork. You are an extremely gifted artist!

1 Like

I love all of their faces, you did a great job!

1 Like

What a roller coaster that must have been, but so gratifying to know you are making a one-of-a-kind art piece to memorialize their little family. It’s so detailed, but really, the meaning behind it.

Stellar work.

2 Likes

You did a wonderful job, which was obviously hard under those circumstances. The children will love it.

1 Like

I love this, what a beautiful tribute. I’m sorry for your loss. :pensive:

1 Like