Family portrait - pencil

A couple of years ago my brother, my mum and I went on our first trip together.
My brother booked it, we went to Northern of France for a couple of days in autumn. It was really nice.
(My parents are already divorced for quite some time so this meant something going away together)
My mum turned 61 last year and I wanted to give her something with meaning.
She always drew as a kid but wasn’t allowed to do anything with it because old times.
So I wanted to commemorate our first trip together in a pencil drawing!
It’s been a while, again, since I drew something so, still a bit rusty :smiley:
but I liked doing this!

My mum liked it too, but she wants me to re-do her (to us) right eye.
But it’s how her eye was in the picture, looking into the sun!
So what do you think? Should I redo her eye and risking messing it up or leave it?
Also, my brother in the left, … people with glasses are sooo hard! :smiley: He looks like my grandma XD
You can see the beach in the background.

Here are some in progress pictures:
IMG_20190725_162524-ANIMATION (1)

19 Likes

So good!!!

1 Like

I love the candidness of her eyes in the sun, so I would definitely hesitate to make mods to what is in all rights an excellent rendition of your family. Such a special gift.

1 Like

I like it just the way it is. I think it captures the moment.

2 Likes

Wow, this is amazing! I wouldn’t change a thing especially since your eye is closed too. No one would ever know it’s been awhile since you’ve drawn anything.

1 Like

So well done!! The fact that you’re all squinting a little conveys a real sense of the bright sunshine.

Rather than re-doing and losing something of that particular moment, maybe you could do another drawing in a different setting/lighting? I’m sure we’d all like to see more drawings from you :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s true about the sunlight!
Perhaps I should indeed make her another one, but she can choose the picture this time :smiley:
I told her that ‘people on the internet’ thought I shouldn’t touch it. She was okay with picking another picture :smiley:

Thanks everyone for the compliments! And it’s nice to read you had the same thought as me!

This is absolutely beautiful! What an awesome keepsake.

1 Like

This is excellent

1 Like