Fastest, easiest fitted face mask pattern tutorial

They are so comfy! Like a sock for your face. Maybe (and especially if you plan on throwing your mask into the dryer) go a little larger, or use a favourite t-shirt or something thoroughly prewashed, my mask seems to keep shrinking a little!

2 Likes

Here are 4 sizes for a mask with 2 darts, top & bottom. You could use different fabrics for both sides. I haven’t tested it but there are lots of this style out there for free. I’m working on my own similar with step-by-step instructions for less and quicker sewing and NO folded over side seam for the elastic, for me that’s what ruins a lot of mask patterns. It’s fussy, it’s thick, it doesn’t seal to the face well, and it is utterly unnecessary.

3 Likes

shoe laces sounds like a great idea!

1 Like

A dozen more masks for friends with kids.

And I’ve modified the pattern to use different fabric for front and back. It fits just as well as this one and takes the same amount of time. The side seams are a bit different but I’ve tried to keep them as simple and non-bulky as possible. Please give me your feed back if you try it.

2 Likes

Pretty.

I’ll be trying that pattern out tomorrow

1 Like

Alter the pattern to have a clear plastic window so the mouth is visible for kids, hearing impaired, etc.

I FINALLY got a chance to try @Maggie’s mask pattern and it was a breeze. The tutorial is crystal clear and sewing was much faster than other patterns I have used. The strings are cut from a tshirt and nose wires are from bread ties because that’s what I have available. Thank you so much Magpie!

4 Likes

Excellent! I love that cute chippie, so adorable. My whole point was to cut down on extra steps so I’m happy to hear you found it a quicker stitch. If you have smaller cuts of fabric , this pattern is similar but uses a different fabric for the lining. I found it helpful to fussy cutting.

1 Like

Very pretty masks and I LOVE the green! Well done.

1 Like

Incredibly easy to follow, thank you. I did one prototype today, and I’m going to production line more at the weekend for myself and my family.

I’m just holding the elastic in place as I wanted to tie it when I’m a bit more awake. The stitching round the nose wire is a bit wonky, but I’ll get better with practice.

3 Likes

Here are my masks. It’s a great pattern, thank you for creating it. I found that the zipper foot was good for topstitching.

8 Likes

Excellent work @LittleCogs! I have sewn so many of these masks by now, it’s really fast once you get into a groove.
My only 2 suggestions are that stitching a bit closer to the sides will work to keep the seam allowances folded under and the elastic firmly in place, I am sewing ab out 1/2" away from the side folds myself. Also, it is so worth it to take the time to include the edge stitching on the front as I’ve found it helps people identify front from back more easily, particularly after laundering. Also, it helps create a nice stiff “spine” that keeps the mask fabric from collapsing inwards on the inhale. Including fusible interfacing also really helps with that. I have a breathing condition that is exacerbated by fabric touching my mouth, not only does it hinder breath, it also causes me a bit of panic that creates shortness of breath in and of itself. Not everybody is that sensitive but this mask is quite good for those who are.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to give me this really useful feedback. I can see now that the elastic channel can be smaller, so I’ll do that next time :slight_smile:
I’m struggling with your second point. I can see on the green and yellow tie-dye mask that you have an additional stitching line down the front seam. Is this through one layer only? I’m sure it’s me being daft, but I couldn’t work that bit out.

4 Likes

I interface the outside fabric and then sew down the center, pushing the seam to one side. On the lining, I also sew down the center, pushing the seam to the opposite side. It does help to keep the mask away from the lips…like a little front pocket of air. This is what everyone that I give these to loves the best…they can not feel so claustrophobic when breathing.

I also sew on nose pieces so that people can remove them if they don’t like them.

7 Likes

Yes, I sew the front seam and then push the seam allowance to one side and edge stitch to hold it in place. I only do that on the front piece with this pattern.
The example looks like this alternate pattern that uses different fabric for the front and the back. In that case, you could easily edge stitch both as well as choose to only interface either front or lining (I recommend trying the lining fabric Linda, I have found that decreases fabric moving during the inhale). For this pattern though, the interfacing ends up on the entire piece which when folded includes both front and lining so you end up with 2 layers of fabric and 2 layers of interfacing.
I’ve used the other pattern when I haven’t got enough of the fabric to use it for both sides but I do prefer this one for both fit and speed of assembly.

@AIMR, this note is for the other pattern with different fabrics used for front and lining and doesn’t apply to this one. I notice you are edge stitching at the sides and then again about 3/4" in. If it’s because the seam allowance gets fiddly inside the mask and makes either turning or inserting the elastic tricky, I have been cutting the seam allowance a bit larger and the ironing it open flat before sewing the top and bottom curve. Alternately, if you trim about 1/2" from the lining fabric only, it moves the seam allowance to the inside of the mask so the fold is only comprised of the front fabric and that seam allowance doesn’t interfere at all. I will make a video for both patterns and link them in the original post. We’ve just been so busy here with other things lately…

2 Likes

It is the pattern that is done on the fold, yes. I leave one edge of the ear part undone so I can turn it easier and then iron and fold back and top stitch. I have been topstitching past the openings to secure the folded edges from flipping out. The reason I leave a larger tube is so that people can use ties made of knits if they want. I generally sew down a bit closer to make it half inch opening.

2 Likes

That’s really useful, thank you. I am making more for my sister and her children, so I will try it out. Thank you so much for all your effort with this detailed tutorial. I am directing friends to it too.

2 Likes

I said that I wouldn’t make any more of these things, but I’m finding the surgical-style masks often get caught under my nose and make me feel like I can’t breathe. My poor DS1 has the same issue. So, I gave this pattern a try - thank you for sharing! - and made a few more for my family.

3 Likes

I really love the cupped shape…it creates a little pocket of air…

What cute fabric you picked! I need to buy some children prints to start making kids’ masks!

4 Likes

This is my latest batch, for when I go back to work next week. I didn’t realise when I bought it, the planets one glows in the dark.

These two for my friend, with a case for her handbag.

And some from dragon fabric for my partner.

6 Likes