Faux Stained Glass Windows

I can admit it: I hate vertical blinds. For some reason, the fact that they exist just bothers me. Sure, they’re functional, but unless you’ve got some design skill, aesthically they’re nails on a chalkboard. You can see where this is going. My apartment is blessed with a multitude of windows, and my landlord has been so kind as to put the lowest quality of verticals on every single one. I spend a lot of time in my bedroom reading or crafting. I needed to get rid of the disturbing blinds while maintaining my privacy. Since I enjoy things with a churchy vibe I decided to tax my art skills with stained glass effects. It’s 50% dollar store acrylic paint and 50% white glue. Most of it peels right off, and what doesn’t melts away with water. My landlord cannot object.

21 Likes

Such a better and brighter way to keep the sun at bay.

1 Like

MUCH better than vertical blinds! And it’s great they are removable

1 Like

so vibrant! I love the stain glass look, and such a good idea as its removable too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great Idea! Interesting cuz it can peel off.

1 Like

What a clever solution!

1 Like

Neat idea. I bet you get some cool colors thrown around your room when the sun shines through too!

1 Like

Yes! It really does behave just like the real thing. I’d post demonstrative photos, but that would require me to clean the bedroom first. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’m with you on the vertical blinds. Your windows have so much more panache now! Was this a grand experiment that you just hoped would be removable, or had you already tested it out before?

1 Like

I had some previous experience with acrylics on non-traditional surfaces, and then I googled. Other people who experimented found that 100% paint was not translucent enough, which is why the glue is added. It’s possible that the glue is easy clean because it’s for kids. Everything I read said it would come off, so I went out on a limb and tried it. My first run through came out looking not wonderful, so I washed it off and started over, so I at least proved it would work before doing all 3 panes of glass.

3 Likes

I love this! I would love to do this in my bedroom, but only do the bottom half of the window. I’m not sure how it would do in the fall with Oregon humidity though.

1 Like

You have enough humidity to affect dried paints? I had this idea of Oregon being a big forest a la Algonquin Park. That’s an exaggeration of the general idea but you get the picture. Is it really that wet?

1 Like

Big forests are wet. It’s just not a hot humid. One of the largest problems in Oregon homes is mold and mildew. - I should clarify, the entire eastern part of Oregon is a desert, but the west is wet. Fields turn into lakes - engines get flooded because the water over the highway is so high. It’s wet.

3 Likes

Congrats! Your Faux Stained Glass Windows are one of this week’s featured projects. Way to go!

2 Likes

I honestly thought these were ATC’s a first. LOL! They are so vibrant and wonderful. I love them! They would make any room much, much more awesome!

1 Like

Truly beautiful. What a glorious solution!

I have to say, I’m a bit overwhelmed by how much everyone seems to like this project. I looked at it, decided it wasn’t totally embarrassing and went with it. No point in joining a site full of cool people and lurking. Now it’s a featured project (thanks so much for that! You really boosted my confidence!) and everyone is saying nice things and I have been on lockdown for so long now I’ve forgotten what it’s like when people acknowledge your existence. I don’t know what to do with myself!

2 Likes

Mmmm, I love painted windows! I have a few windows I need to do this to as well.

What a really cool idea!