First Knitted Project: The Hot Mess Headband

Many years ago my grandma taught me how to knit. In the back of my mind I always thought it would be something I returned to, but a couple attempts in more recent years to reacquaint myself were not as effortless as I had hoped. However, when a 14-day “learn how to knit” email landed in my inbox from The Knitting Circle, I felt the timing was right to try again.

After a few days of learning different stitches and making swatches, I decided to dive into a real project. I have been wanting a ear warmer headband, so I found a tutorial that used only knit and purl stitches and decided to give that a go. I knew there was this weird twist in the middle, but there was a video to help, so how hard could it be?

Here’s the tutorial/pattern I used: The Hot Mess Headband.

This aptly named pattern has a tricky twist in the middle that took me 4 tries to get perfect, but I conquered it eventually! I finally got what I was missing by watching the video and re-orienting my non-double pointed needle since I couldn’t just slide my stitches down the needle. Phew. It was definitely a hot mess for a minute or two!

Not the craziest project, but I’m so excited to have a new craft to explore!!

25 Likes

It looks great! I love all the colors.

1 Like

That turned out so great! So NOT a hot mess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Doesn’t look like a hot mess to me! Nice!

1 Like

You persisted! And got it done! Turned out really nice…and I hope it means you will be searching out more things to knit for yourself and your family!

1 Like

Funny name for a great headband. You really took a chance on something that looks difficult and it turned out perfect.

2 Likes

It looks great! And I’m guessing it works for those hot-mess hair days too, ha.
Not that your hair needs it, it’s a glorious curly delight!

1 Like

Why, yes, that’s exactly what it means. :wink:

Omg, so much yes. It’s getting long and wild again. Ah!

1 Like

These are my favorite kind of ear warmers and it’s not a hot mess! Great job it looks like a seasoned professional made it

1 Like

Nicely done! Persistence pays!!

1 Like

Yay!!! Wear that sucker with pride!!

1 Like

I LOVE those colors! So gorgeous.

2 Likes

I couldn’t resist the yarn when I saw it in the store. This might be foreshadowing…

1 Like

The title threw me a bit because this isn’t a hot mess, glad it’s just the pattern name :smiley: Love these colours too.

2 Likes

Haha…it’s briefly a hot mess while trying to figure out and execute that cable, but it cleans up nice in the end.

3 Likes

It looks great! I love the colours you used, and your knitting looks very neat and even, I would not have guessed this is your first project.

3 Likes

It turned out great and I l really like the colors you chose.

2 Likes

It looks awesome! And so very you.

2 Likes