Fisherman’s hat

Waaaaaay back in 2009, I finally learned how to crochet. I made a hat for Mr SBC, and my FIL loved it and asked if I’d make him one. I think these hats were my third and fourth crochet projects respectively. They were very early attempts when I did not understand gauge, using the proper hook size (I remember using an H hook for the pattern when I believe a J or K hook was called for because the H hook was pink and my favorite color :rofl:), and yarn weight.

I took my FIL to the store and he picked out a red he really liked, and I made his hat. It never fit quite right, but he would never let me make him a new hat. He loved that beanie I made him.

This year he finally wore that hat to death. It has a hole and is unraveling. He sounded so sad about it on the phone tonight. So what did I do? I whipped up a hat for him! I think I’ll make one more that’s a little more plain for him (or maybe add his radio call sign!) and send both. But here’s the one I made tonight:

It fits a little loose on my head and too snug on Mr SBCs (he has a ginormous melon), so hopefully it will fit his dad’s head.

I used this pattern.

19 Likes

Ooooh, it’s so pretty! I love that it has a pattern even in its simplicity! I’m sure he’ll love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s gorgeous! To me, it’s definitely not plain, with the alternating bands of stitches and such a rich colour.

1 Like

Awesome! I love the texture on it.

1 Like

Cool (umm, warm) hat!
And how great is it that your work is appreciated and well loved.

1 Like

Love the hat…and the fact that it is so loved that the wearer wants/needs another!

1 Like

It’s hard to imagine a time that you had to learn to crochet! I love the story and what a nice new hat.

2 Likes

It’s awesome when you make something for someone who appreciates it! The hat is great.

2 Likes

That is such a nice looking hat. Way to rock all the best parts of crochet.

1 Like

Nice pattern, and a great-looking hat! Hope he’ll wear this one to death, too.

2 Likes

I love this story! I actually got a little misty reading it, if I’m being honest.

He will love the heck out of this new hat, too!

1 Like

How awesome the first one you made was worn to the point of unraveling! That’s a yarn-worthy person, right there. Love the replacement hat. Great texture in the variety of stitches.

1 Like