So, while I’ve been down at my mom’s in FL, I still have to do my remote teaching. This week, the kids have a mini project, and we needed some exemplars to show them. I vounteered to make the “not so great” exemplar. I originally planned to do it in the pool right when it turned on in the morning, but it turned on earlier than I expected, so I went with plan B.
The first challenge was figuring out what materials I had on hand to make my model with. I was able to print a map of Pangea and laminate with the new laminator I bought my mom. I forgot that I wanted to leave a bit of laminate around the edges and cut them right along the border, so I laminated them a second time. To make the shapes float, I hot glued some pieces from a pool noodle onto the back.
Since I missed the pool turn on (I only had one day to do it because I came up with the idea last minute and had to have my video posted online yesterday), I decided to use a pan on the stove (the hot water could act like the mantle). But, when I filled the pan with water, the pieces of the model tipped over.
I figured the project was scrapped, but my mom had the idea to use something sticky and water soluble. Inititally thought I could use honey, but realized that I had some Sticky Sulky Solvy, so I cut some small pieces off and used them to “tape” the model together, hoping that they’d hold together until the water got hot. It was mostly successful!
Here’s the model:
And here’s the link to the video I made (my first YouTube video ever!):