Folding Knitting Bag

I fixed up an old folding knitting bag!

I picked up this folding knitting bag at a garage sale years ago. It was filled with yarn, crochet hooks, and pattern magazines for only $2! The fabric wasn’t in the best shape, and couldn’t be removed to clean without taking the whole thing apart, so I cut it off.

Before:

Then the frame sat around for a few years until I finally made a new bag for it. I thought about sewing one, but I ended up crocheting one using tunisian crochet and cross-stitching a pattern from a favorite video game on it. (The pattern is from Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water’s Edge - it’s the solution to the junior level nonogram in the secret bath.)

I used worsted weight acrylic yarn and a J (6.0 mm) tunisian hook. I only had a short hook, so I had to make the pieces in smaller panels and crochet them together.

Once all the crocheting was done, it sat around for another few months until I felt like sewing and made a liner for it. I even used a bit of extra fabric to add a pocket!

I wanted the bag to be removable in case it needs cleaning, so I added many buttons! I had fun using math to decide the button placements. :grin:

It still folds closed like it should:

It’s not perfect, but I’m happy with it! It’s already full of yarn:

In-progress pictures:

18 Likes

That came out AWESOME! I love how you took a piece that can look dated and kitchy, and remade it in your own style. Well done friend.

2 Likes

Nice job!
Looks so cool

1 Like

Great job! I love how you persisted over many years. It looks really well made now. And great that it can be cleaned.

1 Like

What a cool project and beautiful work!

1 Like

That is fantastic! The cross stitch is such a great touch!

1 Like

Love it! So cozy and inviting.

1 Like

What a great fix! It only makes sense that the new bag would be made of yarn.

1 Like