For Frog's Sake

I got several new watercolor pans for my birthday and decided to play with them this week. Scrolling through reference pics, I fell in love with this little frog.

I happily spent a few hours painting and called it done. The next morning though I hated everything about the painting. The flower was muddy. The colors and subject felt blurry and flat. It wasn’t a bad picture…it just wasn’t good either.

I went back in with watercolor pencils and gouache to add more details and depth and that made all the difference. It turned a failed painting into one I’m quite proud of.

Version 1 (before the watercolor pencil & gouache):

Initial sketch:

This little guy will be up for sale in the Craft Stars Garage sale. Finished painting is 5"x7" (including the black border).

20 Likes

Super, super cute! It definitely has more depth after the modification but the original painting was really cute, too!

1 Like

Oh, I liked version 1! The end result is certainly quite lovely & interesting but there’s a charm in simplicity as well. Either way, both are marvellous.

3 Likes

I wont to invite this little froggy over for tea!

1 Like

If I were the artist here, I’d be hoppin’ happy with both of them.

1 Like

He’s so cute!! And it’s really inspiring to see you pushing your art further and challenging yourself to go to the next level :frog: :sparkles:

1 Like

I thought lil froggy was good before but now he’s even better!
If you made a tutorial on here I’d definitely do it. (Eventually lol) I’ve never guache, I’ll have to look into it!

1 Like

Your first iteration was great. the 2nd is just amazing. I love his sweet little face.

1 Like

It’s so cute! :frog:

1 Like

Seconded-- the new version is definitely “better” in terms of technique, but the first one looks more friendly to me. Takes all sorts, I guess! :green_heart:

2 Likes

@Bunny1kenobi, @Magpie, @thanate - Thank you! I know some people prefer version one and I do love the beauty of a simple, sparse watercolor painting. It’s hard to articulate, but for me, that first version falls into an uncomfortable middle - it’s not loose enough and with the white space and free style that I prefer in a simple watercolor (like these watercolor birds), but also not as detailed and layered as I like in a more complex watercolor piece (like Manelle Oliphant’s work, which I’m thoroughly obsessed with). In the end, it may just be a case of the artist being too close to the art - all I see are the original’s flaws.

@TheMistressT - He could hang out with Jemimah’s pool frog and make it a proper tea party!

@Tee, @jemimah, @geekgirl, @jellybean - Thank you!

@Manders - Thanks! Ruth Wilshaw has some really gorgeous, free gouache tutorials over on YouTube. Gouache is just watercolor with a white pigment base built in. It has this gorgeous luminosity, but blends and acts like watercolor.

5 Likes

Just picked up your wonderful frog painting off ebay. Great job!

2 Likes

Thank you for snagging it and pitching into the Garage Sale!

1 Like

I recieved for Frog sake this week in the mail. I just love it. Thank you so much. And the included stamps with thank you card were a very nice little addition.

3 Likes