Found Words bookmarks

I made these two bookmarks by cutting out (Dutch) words (from a book with wonderful fonts and colors from the seventies, that was falling apart) and turning them into a collage.
Don’t worry if you don’t understand Dutch, the words together don’t make a story.
If you do understand Dutch, you could try and combine some of the words.

They are 5 x 15 cm, or 2 x 6 inches.
If you wonder how I worked with such small cut outs, I didn’t. I originally made them twice as big and then scanned them and reduced them in size.
I hope you like them.

19 Likes

I love typography… the fonts and colours work so well together!

1 Like

They look so cool & that 2nd one reminds me of @Kira , formerly noooitaremybirthday, such a funny username!

@madebyBeaG, I used a thready heart sticker of yours on some mail recently & was so impressed with the quality! Everything you do is impressively top-notch.

2 Likes

These are very striking in appearance / graphic design, even if I don’t understand every word. What a great new purpose for a dilapidated old book!

1 Like

Thanks, @wittychild, @Magpie and @endymion !

And thanks again, Magpie!
That heart sticker was printed on vinyl.

These really look cool!

1 Like

I like them! They remind me of the colors used in propaganda posters by… I’ll recall the artist’s name at some point.
What does “ook zo” mean? It’s fun.

1 Like

Barbara Kruger. The artist.

2 Likes

These look like the words were designed to be part of this project!

2 Likes

Thank you very much, @Bunny1kenobi, @irid3sc3nt and @gozer !

‘Ook zo’ means ‘also’, or ‘the same’, or ‘also like that’ or ‘same to you’ (on receiving a compliment).

The words all came from the same book, so that is why the different fonts and colors look so good together. That wasn’t my doing. I guess I just saw their potential and turned them into a collage.

3 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :maple_leaf: Congrats! This fall-tastic project is one of this week’s featured projects! :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf:

2 Likes

These look so cool! I think that not understanding the words makes the various sizes, styles, and colors of the groups of letters even more visually interesting.

1 Like

It’s really nice! Understanding the words I immediately group together words that have meaning for me!
“MENS, ik verander” (Human, I’m changing) I really like!
“BREEK NOOIT EN LACH” (Never break, and smile) Is also really strong!

1 Like

Thanks for the feature, @Abbeeroad !

And thanks for the compliments, @TheMistressT and @Riechan !

Yes, if you understand Dutch, you can try and group together words and do find some meaning in them.

1 Like

Clever way that you did them by enlarging then shrinking!

I like how you saw potential in words…they seem to draw you to the type of crafts you like…love the words as bookmarks!

1 Like

Thanks, @AIMR !

I was probably a bit unclear in my explaining: I used the words in their original sizes (I didn’t enlarge them), on a 10x30cm (4x12inch) piece of paper, then scanned the (huge!) bookmarks and reduced them to half their original size.

Today I made a sheet of them (3 of each) and printed a couple of sheets on sturdy paper, then cut them out with scissors and signed them on the back. It’s lovely to have little stacks of all of the 4 bookmarks I designed so far. I plan to do more.
I am sending them out with Happy Mail (to LC members, friends and family) and plan to give them away in our Gratis Biebje (Little Free Library) too.

1 Like

I really like the way these look. You did a great job with the layout!

1 Like

Thank you, @AudiobookLover !

1 Like