Fourth of July in December Socks

Switching things up a bit from the better-known Christmas in July shenanigans… it’s Fourth of July socks for Christmas!

The yarn is a sock set from Nannette Wake Studios and the pattern is Lynne Rowe’s Perfect Socks. I don’t know that it’s any different than a basic Vanilla sock…ribbed cuff, slip stitch heel flap and gusset, wedge toe. This was my first time doing different colors for the cuff, heel, and toe. So many ends! But, worth it. These are for my wonderful FIL. Nothing* says I love you like handknit socks.

I have enough of the set left over to knit a coordinating pair of socks for my MIL. Hopefully I can manage to do that for her birthday.

(*This will obviously vary based on your personal love languages.)

20 Likes

He will love them! The colours are perfect, and obviously they’re made with love.

1 Like

They look perfect! I hear socks are hard. They look amazing.

3 Likes

Those socks are so great! (You can be patriotic any time of year, right?) They look so comfortable, too. I tried to make some (crocheted) socks once, but they were so uncomfortable that I gave up even trying to make more.

3 Likes

They are lovely!

1 Like

I love them! Handmade socks would fit my love language! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

They’re definitely soft, and I hope I got the fit correct so that they’ll be comfortable (I’m notorious for making socks too large). I blocked them before weaving in the ends, and that seems to help minimize the bulk of the extra yarn for some reason.

2 Likes

The red on the toe, heel, and ribbing really give these a cozy, “classic sock” look! I’m sure he’ll be delighted!

And just to round out the homophones, I will say “heal” as well.

2 Likes

Ooh, nice wordplay!

2 Likes

Yes, there are a lot of extra ends to weave in but the red bits make all the difference. They’re great, I’m sure he’ll love them. Great idea to knit your MIL a matching pair.

1 Like

Knit socks are just naturally more comfy than crochet ones. Crochet fabric is a lot bumpier.

2 Likes

They look like perfection. Very apt pattern name.
Do you knit socks with wool? I made some wool socks for my dad and BIL, but I think they didn’t wash them correctly and they shrunk. Maybe next time I shrink them before giving as a gift? I’m not sure.

1 Like

Thank you!

@irid3sc3nt - Thanks! They are wool/nylon. If you shrink wool, it loses a lot of the stretch that makes it comfortable. Most sock yarns are made with superwash wool and nylon, so they’re washable (still best to wash them in cool water on delicate cycle) and have the durability of nylon.

2 Likes

Oh nice! I will have to look for that kind next time I make socks. It’s been so long.

2 Likes

These came out awesome. Socks really are a love language!!

3 Likes

Thank you!

We’re celebrating with my in-laws tomorrow and I’m so excited to give them to my FIL.

4 Likes

I’m sure that anyone would love getting these for a gift. They look lovely! The vanilla-sock style is perfect for the little fireworks of color. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m so chuffed with how they came out. They look like proper socks. I’m still rather new to sock knitting, and it hasn’t ceased to amuse me when they come out looking okay. Knitting is magical.

4 Likes

They turned out looking really good! I love the yarn!

1 Like

Thanks!