"Free" Homemade Turkey Stock

After Thanksgiving, I ended up with two turkey carcasses. It’s taken a bit of time, but I finally got around to making Turkey stock! Since most of the ingredients would otherwise be thrown away, I consider this almost free!

To the stock pot, I added one carcass (not room for two), leftover bits of veg that I’ve kept in the freezer (carrot and onion peels, celery that was on its last “legs” before going bad, the tops and bottoms of zucchini and yellow squash), two bay leaves, fresh cracked pepper, thyme, and water to cover it all. (I salt whatever I use the finished stock for - gives me options!)

I brought it to a boil, then let it simmer for 24 hours.

After straining all the solids out, I refrigerated overnight, then strained out the fat.

Some went into the freezer (too lazy to can it just then) while the rest went to making enchilada soup for last week’s lunches.

Easy, “free” stock - I think I got about 20 cups - and it’s so dang tasty! Great for soups, stews, and sauces!

9 Likes

Your stock looks delicious. I’m definitely going to give this a try.

2 Likes

This looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Awesomesauce!

1 Like

Such a great idea saving veg ends & bits in the freezer for when you’ve got bones, I do it too. Our Aunt even saves veg cooking water, you need a big freezer for all that though. I use the Crock-Pot over night for making broth, it makes the house smell Ah-may-ZING! Trouble is, if you get up in the night to use the loo you can’t get back to sleep because the stock aroma makes you so hungry :smile:

1 Like

Hahaha! YES! Drives my dog nuts, too.