Fridge Magnets from Buttons (as in Pins)

I’ve been finding that my magnet stash isn’t really up to holding cards, etc to the fridge. I’d made a few heftier ones out of old buttons some years ago and decided not to reinvent the wheel.

It’s not a terribly involved project – remove the pin, add magnets, stick it to something metal – but if your pin mechanism is enclosed, it will require some mean force & awkwardness to get it out. (Also, pliers.)

These little round magnets I got really cheaply at Walmart the last time I made these. Depending on the depth of your button/the thickness of the magnet, you may need to stack a couple to get them in contact with your metal object. Here’s one vs. two; most if not all the button magnets I’ve made have been two deep.

Thanks for looking! And thanks for all the swap art/happy mail that has necessitated these.

16 Likes

Nice! And timely; I’m in the process of converting some pinback buttons to magnets.

1 Like

Great way to put those pinbacks to use!

1 Like

Ingenious!

1 Like

:metal: :zap: :boom: Oh, my giggles! Your great craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :metal: :zap: :boom:

1 Like

Whoop whoop! Thank you.

what a good idea!

1 Like

This makes me want to raid my stash of buttons. I have a few of those neobydimium… I forget how to spell it… magnets that hold really well.

1 Like