Fried Apples (with optional crumb topping)

I had a hankerin’ for some fried apples so I made some :slight_smile:

• 6 large apples, peeled, cored, and wedged. I am the world’s worst apple peeler, they end up square, leave the skins on if you want

• 4 tablespoons butter

• 1/4 cup brown sugar

• 1 tablespoon cinnamon

• 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (honestly, it’s just cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg)

• 2 tablespoons corn starch

• 3 tablespoons water
    INSTRUCTIONS

• Peel, core, and wedge the apples, leave the skins on if you want. (I don’t like them)

• Heat a very large skillet over medium-low heat. Melt the butter and brown sugar.

• Place all of the apple wedges into the pan and toss them around to coat with the butter/sugar mixture. Put a lid on the skillet, and let them cook a few minutes.

• Toss the apples to coat in the butter/brown sugar mix. Once they have begun to cook down, sprinkle the spices over top and stir them again.

• Cook on medium-low or low for 20-30 minutes, stirring at least every 4-6 minutes.

• When the apples are starting to get soft, combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Pour this slurry into the apples.

• Continue to cook 4-5 more minutes until apples have a thick sauce

Now you could leave well enough alone here but I made a crumb topping
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup cold butter
Pulse all ingredients in a food processor just until combined, if you don’t have one of those use a pastry cutter, if you don’t have one of those use a fork, if you don’t have one of those use your hands.
Top apple mixture with oat mixture and bake in 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes
Serve while hot-a nice scoop of ice cream would be lovely but I didn’t have any (read: I already ate it all)
Enjoy!!!

7 Likes

I’ve never had fried apples. Guess today will be the day. Looks delicious! I can’t wait to get home and try out your recipe!

1 Like

YUM! I have some apples left from my tree. I think I need to make these.

1 Like

ALSO I forgot to mention that if you make too big of a batch you can freeze them in quart size freezer bags for up to 3 months and when you want to eat them remove them from the bag, and slowly heat them in a heavy pan. Don’t stir too much or you’ll have applesauce :slight_smile:

Yummy!

1 Like

we grew up eating fried apples but never had it with a topping. that sounds good. I’ll have to try it out.

1 Like

watering mouth

1 Like