Garden Grown Zucchini-Style Summer Squash Bread

This is our first year and we are having a great time with our raised bed garden! Our summer squash has been very prolific so far. We’ve dried it and put it in lasagna, made chips, and somewhat followed a zuchinni bread recipe from Mr. Lynx’s grandma’s 2008 Grange cookbook (not her recipe).

(Posing in front of its plant.)

I followed:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 ts baking soda
1 1/2 ts salt
1 ts cinnamon
3/4 ts baking powder (somehow I didn’t have this and sprinkled like 1/8 ts more baking soda instead)
2 c. zuchinni style summer squash (grated and drained, I eyedballed.)
1 ts vanilla

Bake at 350 for about an hour. Makes 2 loaves.

As these older recipe goes, it wasn’t specific as to the order of ingredients, so I just went from the top down.

We really enjoyed it, and it was a hit at a weekend family BBQ as well.

I currently have more squash draining and more cut and drying for chips!

8 Likes

This sounds and looks delicious!

1 Like

Using squash for bread, what a wonderfully different idea! What a way to try something new!

1 Like

Aha, found and saved for later! Looks really good.

1 Like

It is! I omitted nuts and raisins from our version, which were the changes I made.

If there is a good reason to grow zucchini, it is this: the zucchini bread is one of my favorites…no way it can be messed up! I love the raisins and nuts, but not everyone does…your plants sure look healthy and looks like you can freeze some loaves for winter!

1 Like

I like nuts, but not all of us. Raisins to me :ick. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks really tasty… thanks for sharing!

1 Like

YUMMMMM! It looks and sounds really good.

1 Like

I love your photo! Your plant is so healthy :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome!! Looks delicious and more so because it came from your garden!

I used to have a chocolate chip zucchini cookie recipe I loved. I should dig that up.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recipe, they smell great!
These little loaf pans had me second guessing, started out with 3 then changed to 2 but should have stayed with 3 because they took forever to bake!

I couldn’t find the costco sized jar of chocolate chips which means rotten children ate them up, the sneaky little boogers. & we’re out of walnuts so one loaf got slivered almonds.

I wanted to try your recipe because I like zucchini & do not like banana, but I probably should have used those up instead, lol.

2 Likes

Oh, so exciting that you tried it! I don’t like bananas either, but I do like banana bread! I hope it’s tasty for you too!

1 Like

Tasty! Nice & moist, not too sweet, perfect for breakfast.

I loathe banana, even just a whiff makes me nauseous, yuck!

2 Likes

Looks yummy…count me in the group of non-banana eaters…I used to love them then one day, I just can’t even look at them!