Gaudy Vintage-y Diorama Ornaments

I found some sort-of vintage packs of flame-style lightbulbs at my thrift store (Lol always the thrift store with me…) And I immediately wanted to use the packaging (I’ll figure out what to do with the bulbs later lol) and I had some miniatures I could use in there. So I made these:

Edit: I made another one.

The hubs thinks maybe they’re a bit too gaudy and I might make the others less-so but I’m happy with them. Here’s a sort-of tutorial:

You can get either some old xmas light boxes or ornament boxes, or you can download a printable of a vintage box off the internet.
Here is the original:

I carefully removed the price stickers and opened the box. Then I cut cardboard to fit inside to make it more sturdy. I taped scenes from inside some packaging as well as a magazine on the inside.

I didn’t have all the miniatures I wanted as I wanted a wide variety and the trees I had were a tiny bit too small so I found a good amount of miniatures at Dollar Tree. Still there weren’t the right size trees so I cut some larger trees I got there to size. Then you just trim them into a tree shape again. I got two trees out of the larger ones. They will fall apart if you don’t seal them on both ends so use some hot glue.

If the trees are too fat for your box, just cut the back of the trees flat and glue them up against the background.

Then you need your miniatures:

You can get small bells and tiny bows from lots of places, especially the dollar tree. You can get a few miniatures there too or you can make some simple minis out of clay. You can make a snowman out of three little pom poms.
A good amount of glitter always helps. As well as some tinsel chennile stems which are also at Dollar tree.
I used some sequins as ornaments for the tiny trees and just glued them on. I used a lot of hot glue. Lol. I used chennile stems to decorate around the edges and as hangers then I used some buttons to cover the spots where they were attached.

It’s fun just gluing a buncha crap together. Very fulfilling. :laughing:

18 Likes

Haha…I can tell you had fun making these. I love your box of vintage-y miniatures!!

1 Like

Not gaudy, for the record, just bright and festive. These are so much fun!

1 Like

Love these! Sparkly & fun!

1 Like

'Tis the season to be gaudy! I like all the “stuff”! Reminds me of of those Christmas sweaters where anything goes! lol

2 Likes

These are darling! ONe of the best things about vintage holiday décor is that a little gaudy (or a lot) is just right!

1 Like

These are so cheerful and cute!

1 Like

What a cute idea! I love the ingenuity here- they turned out great!

1 Like

There is something so gratifying about gluing sparkles all over stuff…

2 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

I like stuff like this because of all the “stuff.” It’s fun for your eyes. Kind of like an eye spy. :grinning:

3 Likes

I love gaudy Christmas stuff, so this is right up my alley. LOVE the elf!

1 Like

These are ah-mazing! I love gaudy Christmas decorations. I love them hard and your little ornaments please my gaudy Christmas spirit so much. :heart_eyes:

Excellent job! What a neat idea inspired by the packaging! That’s so dang creative.

2 Likes

The elf is totally from Dollar Tree! I just cut him off his little platform. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

These are so cute!

1 Like

Wow! These are wonderful! Love the whimsy!!!

6 Likes

Thanks and welcome back!!

:eyes: Great googly moogly! :eyes: Your craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like