Gelli Printed Zig Zag Book

I am on a long printing and textile art course led by Hilary Beattie. Last summer we did a lot of gelli printing, and I made this zigzag book with little insert pages. I made one for myself, and one for a friend’s birthday.

It is on watercolour paper, with inserts on copier paper. It is all printed on the gelli plate with found objects, and overdyed with procion MX dyes.

I really enjoyed making it, and would love to make more books.

16 Likes

I really like the circles on the second to last picture. Cool project!

1 Like

Thank you. The buttons are a collograph plate, with buttons glued to a piece of mountboard, and the large circles are the cardboard from a reel of packing tape.

Gorgeous! I love the texture you got all jusy from thr imagery. I’m corpus about the overdyeing with the procion Mx. Were those painted on or dipped?

2 Likes

Wow, gorgeous! Love the buttons also, and the keys. Great colors, too.

2 Likes

These are so fun!

1 Like

Beautiful! Gelli printing is something I have never tried before. And the results are always so intriguing!

1 Like

Just painted on with a big fat brush. I mix it up in jars, just the dye powder & water (no soda ash or other additives) and use it like watercolour. It is a great way of decorating paper.

(If you’ve not used procion dye before, wear a dust mask rated for particulates when mixing the loose powders.)

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve just recently started becoming curious about ice dyeing fabric and I realized that it’s the same dye.
I can’t wait to see any future books that you make!

1 Like