Geometric Cat

Made for a swap on IG … Geometric Cat pattern by Quiet Play Designs made with batiks. The recipient likes pink, purple, orange and turquoise, I added a couple green and yellow because my selection of those colours was limited and I didn’t want to use the same fabric too much.

The back to show how it’s quilted

Glow-in-the-dark thread on the front, I forgot to mention this when it was sent, hopefully she saw my teaser photo on IG or she’ll get a surprise at night.

One of two required extras, which I vacuum sealed for mailing purposes.

18 Likes

I love this so much! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Gorgeous! The binding is ooh la la, so extra spesh.

1 Like

These are charming and beautifully done. You are a genius to think of vacuum sealing! How did you do it? Asking for a Thing… I mean friend.

1 Like

We have a vacuum sealer, we make and sell pepperoni sticks and use it for those and anything else I need flattened. You can buy bags that you connect a household vacuum to and it gets very flat. I’ve even used a ziplock bag and vacuum.

1 Like

cool!

I’m happy with how it turned out but cats and batiks are not ‘my thing’ so staying motivated was hard. This was for an animal themed swap, which I’ve done before, usually the person lists a couple animals but not this lady, cats was her only pick.

Years ago I bought a package of batik strips but only opened them when I was working on your spool mini. I have lots leftover and actually have another idea for a mini using them.

1 Like

I’ve used this idea a couple times, makes it seem a bit fancier.

Wow, that kitty is amazing! I am so in awe of all this awesome quilting stuff that goes on around here! Vacuum sealing is genius!

1 Like

Very cute kitty, so well made!

I use vacuum sealing a lot too for shipping bulky fabric items or liquids and for storing extra or seasonal bedding. It hadn’t occured to me to use it for small fabric items, though, and come Christmas I hope I remember.

2 Likes

This is stunning!

1 Like

That cat is absolutely bananas! And not just because it’s a cat and I love cats. The colors are so vibrant and fun. I love everything about this. EVERY. SINGLE. THING!

3 Likes

When we helped our son move across Canada, I put everything possible in vacuum bags and we sure fit a lot more in his car.

Shrinking the pin cushion saved $10 in shipping.

3 Likes

I put so much of my fabric stash and our bedclothes into vacuum bags when we moved to Montana from Oregon and it made a big difference ins space, but that compressed stash made for some heavy boxes!

2 Likes

Love all the cat love!

Loving the cat! Gorgeous colors, great composition.

1 Like

I love those batiks and the glow in the dark thread! Very cool touch.

1 Like

Wait… you moved to Oregon?

I love this!! I really like the geometric scrappiness of this! The quilting is really fun! I like how you switched between the different stitches on and off the cat. Your swap partner definitely got lucky to be partnered with you!

Wait a second, I’m looking at the glow in the dark picture. So, not only did you change stitches, but you also changed thread colors on and off the cat? That came out so cool!

No, I’m not that smart … I quilted the cat first with an off white thread then changed to glow in the dark for the rest. I had tick marks at the top to show me where to start so the stitching lined up.

1 Like