Gestrike wool slippers

Another project from the lovely ”Ullen vi ärvde” subscription by Tant Kofta. It showcased the 10 swedish heritage sheep breeds in a two part subscription of 5 breeds per year. For each package I received yarn spun from that particular breed of sheep, a pattern made to compliment the yarn, a lock of wool, and usually a small tool or trinket. I believe this came with a small pet brush with metal bristles.

The Gestrike sheep has quite coarse and rustic wool, and fulls beautifully.

Step one: knit huuuge ”socks”. It’s worked from the toe up, with some increases for a gusset, and an afterthought heel. The icord bind off gives some extra stability.

It took several tries in the washing machine to get them to my size. The openings are basted shut with some cloth in the slipper, and sewn wedged in the opening to make sure there’ll still be room for a foot when it’s done.

After fulling I brushed the knit side to make them nice and fuzzy. Then I turned them wrong side/purl side out. I love the texture! They’re super cosy inside with the brushed wool.

These soles will hopefully prevent worn through slippers. Plus, they’re not slippery at all like this. The soles are from recycled leather from furniture manufacturing, and they were prepared with holes around the edge for easy sewing. I used a waxed linen thread that I hope will hold up.

Slippers with feet in them, embroidery in progress.

Finishing the embroidery took longer than knitting and fulling the slippers. :sweat_smile: The yarn I used has been sitting in my stash long enough for the cellophane bag to become brittle. It’s a very soft wool yarn, probably merino. I attended a workshop on how to embroider bullion stitch roses and bought a bundle of pre cut yarn in different colours.

The roses are very fun and satisfying to embroider, but I need to look up how to do them every time. They are pretty easy, but I embroider too seldom to remember.

The green vines are chain stitch with two colours of yarn.

This was so much fun, and gave me inspiration for more fulling adventures. (For example this Mug rug I made for a swap, using what I learned from the slippers)

21 Likes

These came out so great! Well done!!

3 Likes

Oooh, these look so cozy! Sounds like it was a bit of a drawn-out process to create the slippers, but so worth it! Love the heathery gray color, as well as those bullion stitch roses. Beautiful!

3 Likes

The knitting and fulling was fairly quick actually. Sewing on the soles wasn’t too bad either, but it took some ”thinking time” to figure out the best way to keep them in place while stitching, before I started.

Some projects need to sit and mature a bit between stages I guess. Especially creative work where I need to decide what to do/how to do it. The first three roses were completed over the space of several weeks. First one rose, then two more the same night once I decided how to continue. Then the slippers rested for a long while until I decided how to continue.

I did three roses, one vine, and started the second vine, in just a few hours last time we had a knit night. I finished the last little bit last night.

5 Likes

That subscription sounds so cool! The slippers are neat. Knitting them large first and having to shrink them is wild. I don’t knit so I don’t know if that is normal. Love the added touch of the embroidery.

3 Likes

These are awesome! They fit you perfectly. The soles are such a great touch. All that work…it would be a shame to put a hole in them too quickly! The embroidery is so pretty, too!

2 Likes

These look super cozy! You will be ready for chilly weather!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the process. All the work had a good result! They look cozy and the embroidery really makes them special.

Did you get instructions on how much bigger you needed to make them for your size? For me, the fulling part is always a guessing game! The end size never seems to turn out correctly for me, which I why I have not tried slippers. Only things where size is not important.

2 Likes

Yeah, I got instructions for the gauge, how many stitches to cast on and increase, and that they should measure X cm, or Y cm past the toes when starting the icord bind off.

It was actually more forgiving than I thought. I could stretch and shape them quite a bit when wet. I tried them on while still damp to check it would work.

The pattern gave pretty detailed instructions on how long a program one should use when fulling and so on.

@gozer It’s normal wool-behaviour for untreated wool. A lot of commercial wool garments will be ”superwash” treated and less likely to shrink and felt.

The knitted slipper had a pretty loose gauge, giving it room to shrink.

4 Likes

Great job, they look so warm and cozy! Love the idea that each package is from a unique breed of sheep with a project designed for the specific qualities of that wool.

3 Likes

They look great! And that subscription sounds amazing, I wish there was something like that for Dutch wool. I know that almost all Dutch wool is burned as waste instead of used.

3 Likes

They look so cozy! What a cool project.

2 Likes
  1. This is an AWESOME subscription.
  2. I really love the way your slippers turned out. I would wear them at work just so I could show them off to people.
3 Likes

What a cool subscription and such cozy, cute slippers!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s similar here. Not a lot of demand for domestic wool. It takes a lot of effort to breed and care for the sheep with the wool in mind, and there are few options for processing the fleece between doing it by hand and large scale commercial processing.

2 Likes

:green_heart: :purple_heart: :blue_heart: Congratulations! Your amazing work is one of this week’s featured projects! :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :green_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I love everything about this. Understatement.

2 Likes

These are wonderful! That’s a lot of work, but what an absolutely stellar result! They look like they will give you years of cosy and stylish feet.

2 Likes