Giant Bluey Cushion

I was so excited to have made this extra large cushion for my little nephew who turns 4 today - I gave it to him yesterday and he grabbed it and ran away cuddling it - happy heart! :green_heart: :blue_heart:
I used my current favourite quilt block - the Economy Block (or, Square in a Square). The top is quilted and the back is closed with a zip … of which I forgot to take a photo :see_no_evil:
The insert is the 65cm Ikea feather cushion insert, so it’s super squishy and lovely

Close Up

Feet for scale :stuck_out_tongue:

37 Likes

What an awesome cushion…your nephew must be thrilled to bits to have this!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s his big sister’s birthday and 3 weeks and she will be getting her own version :smiley: :two_hearts: :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Lucky girl!

1 Like

Oh gosh. This is AMAZING! It looks so, so good!! I might have to copy if that’s okay, but with a different subject matter. I also love all the shapes the economy block makes with the color contrasts you chose. And, my favorite little detail is how the curve of the pillow and the way that the diagonal of the corner and outer blocks go…you can see a big “circle” in the cushion.

Amazing job! I love, love, love it. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I see it! The circle. Wow, what a cool & unexpected bonus detail in an already otherwise incredible work. It looks just great.

2 Likes

My entire household would LOVE this! So much!

1 Like

You know we love Bluey! This is a perfect tribute! Perfectly composed and wonderfully stitched as always.

1 Like

Oh my goodness…that is giant! (It didn’t fully compute until I read “65 cm” :wink:) Lucky nephew!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning job my friend. (In the best possible way) it looks like something you bought at Pottery Barn or some other high end store. I’m sure he’s going to love snuggling with it.

1 Like

It turned out great, no wonder he loves it! And his sister is also going to love hers a lot, I’m sure.

1 Like

I see the circle too, but my favorite is the X that I can see in the shapes and colors on the front. Combined with the awesome color combinations you choose, I think it looks like an atom of sorts! Super fun. I can see why he loved it so much he ran off with it!

3 Likes

All the things! The size! The circle! The X! The obvious craftmanship!

3 Likes

I love everything about this! What a fantastic pillow.

1 Like

This is so fabulous! You did such a great job.

1 Like

Perfectly done! Love your color choices. The workmanship is exquisite!

1 Like

This cuddly awesome! I would steal it and run off too.

Thank you all!!

@Whistlefish can’t wait to see what you come up with! These are 6 inch blocks, I first used this tutorial But now I do it off the top of my head :P. I start with a 1/4 inch extra which just saves hassle when you are trimming :wink:

The block placement is lots of fun! As there are SO many possibilities with pattern. When I look at it today my eyes are drawn to the dark 2x2 square.

I really loved my foray into solids with this cushion cover and I see a lot more of them in my future :wink:

1 Like

Wahoo! Your wonderful project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Thanks for sharing it here with us!

1 Like

Love the fabrics and how bright and fun this is!

2 Likes