Granny Rectangle Afhgan

Even though it took the pandemic for me to finally take this out and finish it, I refuse to call it my pandemic afghan! I started this several years ago, and then it got tucked away as life got busy and other things took precedence. But, I am so happy that it is finally done!

I wanted to make sure that it was large enough to cover most of me when I was curled up on the sofa, and it covers most of the top (about 3/4 or so) of my queen-sized bed. I originally looked at a pattern to get started, but added a few more granny clusters at the start, so I was worried that it would be oddly shaped, but it actually turned out to be just right! I finished it with just a 3 round border of single crochet- just enough to finish it off and frame it, but not so much that it takes away from the granny stitch goodness :slight_smile:

I picked out my colors based on the variegated yarn. I couldnā€™t find the exact shades (the dark blue is about a shade darker) but, overall, I think everything goes together very well! I got a little random with my color choices and stripe widths, but Iā€™m okay with that!

25 Likes

Yay for the finish! The colors are wonderfulā€¦the pop of blue really highlights the blanket! Did the yarn come in that colorway? What yarn is it?

1 Like

Thanks, @AIMR! The yarn is all RHSS- I started it before color changing yarn cakes were a thing. The variegated yarn is Peruvian Print and I also used Windsor Blue, Turqua, White, and Carrot.

I might stitch up a pillow to coordinate with it to use up some of the leftover yarn. I should have more than enough to stitch up a pillow front in linen stitch.

3 Likes

That makes it even more impressive! wowā€¦those colors you put together are fabulousā€¦the carrot with the turquoiseā€¦love love it!

1 Like

Itā€™s so lovely, and perfect timing to cuddle under on any remote teaching days.

1 Like

I really do love it! I need to get my living room painted (we slapped a coat of green on it when I moved in, but it was just t cover the ugly, bare plaster. Iā€™m actually tempted to paint it a warm orange- I have a gorgeous aqua/teal/blue woodcut print of the moon, and I think itā€™ll be stunning against the orange walls! So, the colors in the afghan will complement that color scheme perfectly!

It definitely will be- it gets quite chilly sitting at the computer all day! Even though the house isnā€™t what I would consider cold, it can be a bit drafty in spots.

1 Like

Beautiful! The oranges and and blues/greens are awesome together.
Do you remember the granny rectangle crochet-along on Cster? I made a king sized afghan for my auntie out of a muted camo patterned yarn (her family are in the army). Took 4 years or so, lol. She cried when I gave it to her though so it was worth it. When my gran passed my aunt really missed her and crafts.

3 Likes

Good for you for finishing a long-standing project! It came out great.

2 Likes

Thank you! And, I remember laying eyes on the variegated yarn (which Iā€™m not usually a fan of) and loving the colors. I used it to pick out the companion colors.

I donā€™t remember that crochet-along, but it could have been what got me started. And, I love that your aunt ā€œgotā€ what the afghan meant, so yes, definitely worth the effort.

And, thank you! Letā€™s hope itā€™s the first of many :slight_smile:

Wow, nice job! Iā€™d love to get some of my WIPs doneā€¦ somedayā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s my challenge for the year to knock a few off of the list. But, trust me, the list is long!

1 Like

This came out awesome! Yay you for getting it done!

1 Like

This is so rad!

1 Like

Thank you! And, it has already been put to use- itā€™s keeping me warm as I type :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations! This has been selected as one of this weekā€™s Featured Projects.

Thank you! You just made my day!

1 Like

Ah man I love this so hard!

Thank you! I held it up today to show one of my students, and it is almost exactly my height and width (with my arms stretched out), so it is the perfect size. And, that big band of orange towards the center was bugging me (I was trying to not have to weave in so many tails), but now I like how it contrasts with the rest of it.

2 Likes

It looks fantastic! perfect for snuggling under!

2 Likes