Greeting Card Bowl

Each year, I take all of the holiday cards I didn’t send out and those I received and put them in a box to recycle “someday”. My Pinterest is full of ideas on how to recycle them…

For 2021, I resolved to make ONE thing from my Pinterest boards each month…if I do more, great, but ONE is the goal.

So instead of putting them away this year, I used a few,14, to be exact, to make this bowl. I printed the pattern I had 129% larger so the bowl is fairly large…I need something to hold chocolates in the foyer to hand out to delivery people and visitors over the holidays (this year, we did not do that because, well, pandemic…).

It looks flat here because I wanted to show the construction…basically, crochet around each piece and then sew together…you can also just sew them together, which I will do next time because it took the entire day to crochet around these 7 pieces!

Here it is in my foyer…

I have made some of the other patterns before and sent them out in swaps. I still have tons of cards to use up, so maybe I will try some of them over the summer, but for now, I am done with Christmas 2020!

I used the scraps to make some tags and inchie circles for projects later as well…

37 Likes

That is a really great and fun idea! Yours turned out fantastic!

1 Like

That’s such a great way to recycle cards!

1 Like

So cool! I love how it turned out. This is a great idea.

1 Like

I absolutely love this. I have a vintage one I got an estate sale. I would love to have/make some for other holidays or just have them in my craft room.

2 Likes

Lovely I have several that my granny made, and some vase shaped.

2 Likes

The first one I ever made was for batgirl on the dead site…ever since then, I have wanted my own as well…the one I made her had a picture similar to her huge orange cat…we loved that cat…

2 Likes

So cool!

My aunt used to make ornaments from old cards. She used pinking shears to cut circles, folded the edges into triangles or pentagons or something, and glued the flanges together with seams out.
Is that a full tutorial or what?

I wonder if anybody make a punch to cut the pieces and stitching holes for these bowls. Or maybe there’s a cricut file to do it…

2 Likes

Oh! I love this. My grandmother had some and my sisters and I have wanted to try to make them. My grandmother’s bowls were sewn - they holes must have been drilled because they were so small.

Good job on yours - the crochet looks so bright and cheery!

1 Like

I used the back of some greeting cards to make templates and marked the holes. I just used my regular hole punch. I am sure there has to be a better and faster way, but I wanted to stick with the traditional use and way. Some people also laminate these, but there was enough gloss on the cards for my use…not like I am putting anything heavy or messy in them…the two layers are strong enough, but for a box, I would probably put a layer of cardboard inbetween as suggested.

They have loads of ornaments and even trees that can be made, but I am not as interested in making those.

@smmarrt – some of the tutorials say just to use a thick sewing needle and punch through…I am going to try that as well since crocheting is very time consuming…I used a tiny hole hand held paper punch…lots of holes…

3 Likes

I have several of these pinned to my “make it someday” list, too! Yours came out great!

1 Like

Cute, useful and a great way to recycle! I love it.

1 Like

Oh, does this fill me with fond nostalgia! I definitely remember seeing crochet and cards projects in my growing up years in the 70s and 80s. I have always been intrigued by using a finished thing to make a completely new and different thing!

2 Likes

It may have taken a day to crochet the pieces, but in my opinion it was so worth it!! This looks great!

1 Like

The bowl is so elegant. Its a wonderful idea.

2 Likes

Oh, this reminds me of my beautiful grandma. Seriously, this makes my heart so happy. I’m adding a Christmas card bowl to my swap wish list right now. :heart::green_heart:

3 Likes

So great!!

1 Like

This is so cool! My aunt used to crochet around prayer cards and saints cards. I remember them fondly

1 Like

This is so classic! And I love the cards you picked, it has a wonderful vintage look.

Greeting cards are the best for repurposing! I made a whole bunch of mini matchboxes one year, I’ll have to visit your Pinterest for more ideas!

1 Like

That is really cool. I’m glad you took the time to crochet it, makes it extra special.

1 Like