Halloween Cross Stitch Thread Catcher Basket

I signed up for the Prairie Schooler cross stitch swap and was delighted to get partnered up with @AIMR . She had Halloween listed as one of her themes and I found the pattern before remembering that I had a kit to make a little stand out of aida fabric. I knew I just had to make a little Halloween thread catcher for her! I stained the base orange before final assembly. The little kit makes a basket/container of sorts. The only annoying part was that it’s hard to cut the aida at the top evenly. I used an exacto knife and did my best, but it’s still a little uneven. Oh well, wonky is the charming part of handmade, right? :slight_smile:

An overhead shot so you can see that it’s a small vessel.

This was the original pattern/kit from the 80s. I used the aida cloth, but I’ll save the thread for another project some other day!

I inherited a total of 3 of these from my grandmother’s stash, so I’m thinking of ways to use the other two as well.

20 Likes

This is so cool! It’s tough to finish cross-stitched pieces in a way that’s practical and not just decorative, but you’ve managed style and function here.

2 Likes

This is just the cutest!

2 Likes

This is really cool! I’ve never seen anything like it before.

2 Likes

I love this little modified kit! I agree about making a cross stitch into something practical and this really hits the mark.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen anything like it, either. Very cool! The needlework pattern is so cute, too. Well done!

2 Likes

I love your reimagining of it. The image you picked fit perfectly. The house and colors are awesome!

2 Likes

That’s adorable and practical!

(And how have you finished a Halloween project already!?! )

1 Like

This is so cool!

1 Like

Wow, that’s great and perfect for AIMR
Great job!

1 Like

Oh, that is sweet! Nice orange stain on the frame. I’m not into cross stitch but your cute little design makes me want to try it. Yours looks more neat to me but then, you have no text in this design. I think it is the pixelated look of cross stitch text that does not appeal to me.

Is aida a different or specific type of cross stitch cloth?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s just what cross stitch cloth is called, but I’m not a cross stitch expert. Maybe someone else can answer that?

2 Likes

I don’t do cross stitch either, but came across a tutorial suggesting using Aida cloth for a project completely unrelated to cross stitch.

It’s also called Aida in French & Spanish. In my mind, cross-stitch will forever now be associated with opera!

3 Likes

This is super cute!

1 Like

This is so cute! I love the cross stitch pattern, and the use as a small container. I’ve never seen cross stitch used like that before. You did an excellent job!

1 Like

What a lovely way to use cross stitch! This is great!!

1 Like