Hand-Built Clay Mushroom Planter filled with a (fake) Succulent Garden

Many months ago, @GeekyBookworm and I did at clay hand-building learnshop with @thewateringcan at her studio (she’s yet to spend time on the site even though she thinks about it).

We made cute mushroom planters. We picked them up this weekend and they are so cute!

I filled mine with a pretty (fake) succulent garden.

In progress hand-building pics:

I am so happy with how it turned out. By design, there isn’t a hole on the bottom for drainage. I have poor lighting in my home and classroom for plants, so this works great, anyway.

Thanks for looking!

23 Likes

Looks like so much fun! Cute mushrooms!

2 Likes

So fun! And who doesnt love mushroom decor? Love it!

3 Likes

Cute! Is it airdry clay, or fired pottery?

2 Likes

It is real fired clay. We did this at a studio.

4 Likes

Cute, cute, CUTE! MUSHROOMS!

2 Likes

Hehe, thanks! I wish you could see it in person.

1 Like

This turned out really cute!!

2 Likes

How neat! Wish I had a pottery studio available to me!

2 Likes

Fun! Did you glaze them after they were fired?

2 Likes

Love all the details!! Super cute.

2 Likes

The studio fired them, then Savannah and I went back and painted them, then they had a second fire.

3 Likes

So cute! I love it.
I just did my first ever pottery class at the library yesterday making a snack bowl and I’m already hooked and want to do more. I even mentioned to my husband it’d be fun to make my own flower pots.

3 Likes

It’s adorable! I hope your friend joins the fun soon too!

1 Like

Of course, you can’t tell that the succulents are fake. The real ones are so perfect and plump that they always look fake. :blush: I like the glaze on your pot. Nice mushroom design! Did you design it along the way or use a template?

1 Like

Thanks, it was part of a learnshop, so the theme was mushrooms, and there were suggestions, but my designs.

2 Likes

Awesome! I started doing pottery this year and find it so fun and challenging. I’m very extra impressed with your artistry! Beautiful colors and texture, and it’s so adorable all filled up with the succulents! I love fake succulents and have a bunch, too. :smile:

1 Like