Hand Carved Crochet Hooks

We had strong storms come through a couple of days ago that dropped a couple of small branches from our maple and oak trees. For whatever reason, this gave me a wild hair. I “kiln” dried some sticks in the oven, and carved a couple of crochet hooks. One is maple, the other is oak. I used small files and sandpaper, and finished them by burnishing beeswax into them with cotton canvas scraps.

35 Likes

They are lovely!

1 Like

These look great and I’ll bet they will be a joy to use. They have soul.

2 Likes

They look great!

1 Like

It’s so great when someone follows the unexpected crafty path all the way through. These look so cool and I bet your projects made with them will have a bit of extra magic to them.

3 Likes

Wow! Beautiful work.

1 Like

How very, very cool! You know those Memes that say that crochet is a post apocalyptic life skill? You just took that to the next level! :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! I’d never really carved wood before, though these are fairly simple. I did used to be a goldsmith, and in fact the tools are from then, so fortunately I already had the filing skills. Otherwise i think it might have felt more cumbersome than it was. The littler maple one only took me about half an hour.

4 Likes

These are lovely!
(and now is the part when I write “I do not need another random project,” on the chalkboard 100 times…)

3 Likes

Yeah, my whole life is another random project. I REALLY enjoyed making these, though, and will probably make another few. My acquisition of new hobbies must be limited to things I can do with what I already have on hand. I’ve vowed not to buy more tools, and without the right tools, not to try a new thing. However. I have a shocking assortment of bits and pieces, so somehow finding new hobbies that only use what I already have is entirely too easy.

5 Likes

So true!

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s awesome!

1 Like

That is so cool!

2 Likes

Wow! That is so cool! I hope they work good if/when you use them!

2 Likes

Super cool project!

2 Likes

Every time I look on this site I’m inspired by something new!

2 Likes

Neato! I love them.

1 Like

Whoa! Way cool! They are so pretty.

1 Like

:rainbow: Well, lookie here! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :fire:

1 Like

Wow! That’s crazy that you actually made these. They are amazing!

2 Likes