Hand-Painted Vintage Coach

I wasn’t sure if I should put this in art or handbags, since I only painted a premade bag. But here it is.

For some reason in my thrifting adventures I come across a lot of vintage Coach glove-tanned leather bags. They are universally stylish and the leather is to die for, and I have gotten really into rehabbing them. But sometimes a bag just can’t be brought back from the brink. That was the case for this 1980s Coach Companion bag, which I paid $4 for:

The leather itself reconditioned beautifully, but the bone colored finish just could not be restored. I anticipated that when I bought it, but for the price I knew it would be good practice. In amy case, I decided to try my hand at leather painting, got myself a customized 12-color mix of Angelus paints, and this happened:

I am not completely finishes. I still have to do some touchups and paint the strap, and apply the finisher. But I am in love with it.

31 Likes

That is very cool! I’m guessing the finisher coat helps to make the paint permanent?

3 Likes

What a beautiful way to bring life back into quality leather!

4 Likes

Yes, it protects the finish and helps preserve flexibility. The process also involves a preperation that removes the original leather finisher and cleans the surface.

2 Likes

It came out so cool! What a great find and a great save!

3 Likes

This is such an awesome rehab!

3 Likes

That is 100% cooler than the original!

4 Likes

Way to give something a new lease on life!

2 Likes

I’m insanely in love with this!!! The original bag looked very boring, but you’ve turned it into over-the-top coolness!!!

2 Likes

I agree!

1 Like

What an amazing makeover!

3 Likes

Beautiful! I love the colors!

3 Likes

You did a fabulous job with it!

3 Likes

That is one incredible transformation. Who wants a white purse anyhow? This is so much better.

4 Likes

Holy crow, how fabulous!

3 Likes

Looks great! I am working on a purse project with my neighbor. I gave him faux leather to be his canvas. When he is finished I will turn them into purses.

3 Likes

Oh wow! That is so pretty!

3 Likes

Absolutely love you are saving useful items and giving them a second round. This really turned into a statement piece, and the colors are very on-trend! Great job!

3 Likes

That is beautiful!
I love the design and the colors. Great job.

3 Likes

Stellar redo!!

2 Likes